Support for recommended VorbisComment field for art in ogg

I would like to see Poweramp add supportIn for the tag name "METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE" in ogg vorbis files in addition to the currently used "COVERART" field.  According to wiki.xiph.org using the tag name "METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE" is "...the preferred and recommended way of embedding cover art within VorbisComments."

Until now I have used foobar2000 and mp3tag to embed cover art in ogg files. When I started using Poweramp I found that artwork from my ogg files was not displayed. While trying to solve that problem I found Poweramp displayed art embedded in ogg files that I had tagged in Tag&Rename just fine. More experimentation revealed the two programs I had been using utilize the tag name "METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE" while Tag&Rename employes the "COVERART" field to embed art, but can display art from both tag types.

I don't want to retag my music collection so I think it would be nice if the Poweramp team would update this great player to accommodate the currently recommend method of embedding artwork in ogg vorbis files.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the request. As usually, in such formats we support those fields which are known to be used "in the wild". All our test oggs have COVERART used as well as some album art ogg files from xiph.com, so we used that field, but there is no problem to add more "recommended" fields, and we'll do that.

Thanks for the request. As usually, in such formats we support those fields which are known to be used "in the wild". All our test oggs have COVERART used as well as some album art ogg files from xiph.com, so we used that field, but there is no problem to add more "recommended" fields, and we'll do that.

Thanks for the quick repy, and thanks for adding a (apparently) less popular field Max! No other Music app comes close to Poweramp!

• 5 months later...

Is there any development regarding this bug? Recently, I have just started transcoding my FLAC files to OGG files (for space constraints as I have just swapped to a phone without external microSD) and found out about this issue. Apparently, there are many threads reporting this same issue.

I guess your "in the wild" argument holds some merits, however I would like to highlight one flaw: people who are using (and buying) your player and also using OGG are likely audio-savvy, and they are likely to encode their own OGG. I mean, let's face it... Who uses OGG for music distribution? For music, mainstream distribution don't use OGG, but the audio-enthusiasts who use Poweramp to play their OGG collection do. Other uses of OGG are mostly in games' or apps' sound assets.

So, rather than using some random sample of OGG files you found in the Internet, I would suggest you refer to the major audio encoder applications available. dBPowerAmp, xrecode, foobar2000's convert function, and many more already follow the xiph.org suggestion: http://wiki.xiph.org/VorbisComment#Cover_art

The sample from xiph.org may be outdated as the last update dates tend to be years ago. I would rather refer to the documentation linked above instead.

That said, I think a significant proportion of your user base would be glad if you can get this issue sorted out. Thanks!

Archived