albumes with different album artist

Go to solution Solved by Mohammad Hossein,

Posted (edited)

Poweramp separates albums that have different album artist

i know its basic music stuff is 'your album should have match album artist or empty album artist’

but for some reason i had to categories some albums like this

now i want in 'album by artist' or 'album' , show these such albums in one album not separate.

is it possible ?

Edited by Mohammad Hossein

The 'Album Artist' tag is specifically used to link a selection of tracks into one Album group, allowing for cases where each track has a different Track Artist (such as compilations or collection albums). Using different Album Artist tags will always create different albums, that is by design.

Andre

1 hour ago, Mohammad Hossein said:

is there any way to fix that ?

There's nothing to fix, it is working exactly as intended.

The Artist tag is used to define the performers on one specific song. The Album  tag is used to define whether that song belongs in a album beyond the individual singer named for the track - which could be a named person/band, or more generally such as "Various Artists".

If there is no Album Artist tag present, PA will try to use just the Artist tag to connect tracks into one Album grouping, but the results can be unpredictable - especially if any of the tracks include a collaborator, such as duets, "featuring" artists etc.

If your embedded tags are wrong, you can edit them individually in Poweramp, or en masse in a batch tag editor.

Andre

Posted (edited)

i want explai you a situation.

there is some popular main artists and there is some popular remixer artists.

ArtistA

ArtsitB

RemeixrC

RemixerD

i wanted to use "album artist" for ArtistA & ArtistB in albums that remixers releases.(remixer C released an Albume that contains ArtistA and ArtistB songs)

with this plan when i serach in 'album artist' name of Artist A or Artist B, i am sure that i just see those songs of these two artists that remixed, not main songs of main artists.

beside that when i want to listen to remixerC albums, i can see its album correctly, but in this situation PA split Remixers Albums.

do you have any suggestion?

31 minutes ago, Mohammad Hossein said:

i wanted to use "album artist" for ArtistA & ArtistB in albums that remixers releases.(remixer C released an Albume that contains ArtistA and ArtistB songs)

You can use tags any way you want. It is your library.

BUT this will lead to unexpected behaviour in most players. Don't expect the developers to change the intended design to accommodate that.

@Mohammad Hossein You can put as many artist names into the track Artist tag as you like, separated by symbols of your choosing. I mostly use a semicolon for my own tags, because that does not appear naturally within any real artist names. Unlike, for example, comma or the ampersand "&" symbol, both of which do exist in some real band names. I also use strings like "feat." and "ft." as separator items, as they are quite commonly used in the wild these days.

You can do the same with the Album Artist tag, allowing you to define albums as being by several entities. For example, a soundtrack album might contain tracks by multiple singers and/or soloists, but the overall album might be considered as being by John Williams and the London Philharmonic Orchestra. So in such a case, the Album Artist tag might be  "John Williams ; London Philharmonic Orchestra".

Artist/band names existing ONLY within Artist tags will be shown in Artist list, while names only existing within Album Artist tags will only be shown in the Album Artist list.

However, as far as the "grouping" action of placing a series of tracks by different artists into one notional 'Album' is concerned, it is controlled by matching the entire content of the Album Artist tag. Often this would "Various Artists" for collection albums but whatever you choose, all of the Album Artist tags must be identical - even if they contain multiple names. So for example a track with an Album Artist tag of "John Williams ; London Philharmonic Orchestra" would be considered as being distinct from one with "London Philharmonic Orchestra ; John Williams", and they would be treated as being part of separate logical albums.

This functionality will not change as it is being applied correctly. You can of course choose to use Album Artist tags for your own different purposes, but in doing so you must expect to break the behaviour of album grouping as a consequence.

Andre

19 minutes ago, Mohammad Hossein said:

how can i set multiple "album artist" ?

As I described above, and also see the Guide I linked to a few posts ago.

Set the Album Artist tag to something like "Remixer C ; Remixer D" (from your example) and then configure semicolon to be one of the splitter characters in PA Settings=>Library=>Scanner=>'Symbols to Split Multiple Artists'. A Full Rescan might then be required to go through and read all the updated tags again. 

Andre

39 minutes ago, Mohammad Hossein said:

Symbols to Split Multiple Artists

this not works for 'album artist'

Yes, it does. That single setting controls how both the Artist and Album Artist tags are parsed. Do a FULL Rescan after making any changes to tags though.

Andre

Title:Artist:Album
----------------------------------
SHT1-1:Shajarian:SHAJALB1
SHT1-2:Shajarian:SHAJALB1
SHT1-3:Shajarian:SHAJALB1

SHT2-1:Shajarian:SHAJALB2
SHT2-2:Shajarian:SHAJALB2
SHT2-3:Shajarian:SHAJALB2

ShajSINGLE1:Shajarian:SHAJSingle
ShajSINGLE2:Shajarian:SHAJSingle
ShajSINGLE3:Shajarian:SHAJSingle
----------------------------------
EFTKHT1-1:Eftekhari:EFTKHALB1
EFTKHT1-2:Eftekhari:EFTKHALB1
EFTKHT1-3:Eftekhari:EFTKHALB1

EFTKHT2-1:Eftekhari:EFTKHALB2
EFTKHT2-2:Eftekhari:EFTKHALB2
EFTKHT2-3:Eftekhari:EFTKHALB2

EFTKHSINGLE1:Eftekhari:EFTKHSingle
EFTKHSINGLE2:Eftekhari:EFTKHSingle
EFTKHSINGLE3:Eftekhari:EFTKHSingle
====================================

MHRDT1-1:Mehryad:MHRDALB1          (Shajarian Vocal Used)
MHRDT1-2:Mehryad:MHRDALB1          (Eftekhari Vocal Used)
MHRDT1-3:Mehryad:MHRDALB1          (Something Else)

MHRDT2-1:Mehryad:MHRDALB2          (Shajarian Vocal Used)
MHRDT2-2:Mehryad:MHRDALB2          (Something Else)
MHRDT2-3:Mehryad:MHRDALB2          (Shajarian Vocal Used)

MHRDSINGLE1:Mehryad:MHRDSingle     (Shajarian Vocal Used)
MHRDSINGLE2:Mehryad:MHRDSingle     (Something Else)
MHRDSINGLE3:Mehryad:MHRDSingle     (Something Else)
-------------------------------------
KVNT1-1:Keyvan:KVNALB1          (Shajarian Vocal Used)
KVNT1-2:Keyvan:KVNALB1          (Something Else)
KVNT1-3:Keyvan:KVNALB1          (Something Else)

KVNT2-1:Keyvan:KVNALB2          (Shajarian Vocal Used)
KVNT2-2:Keyvan:KVNALB2          (Something Else)
KVNT2-3:Keyvan:KVNALB2          (Eftekhari Vocal Used)

KVNSINGLE1:Keyvan:KVNSingle     (Shajarian Vocal Used)
KVNSINGLE2:Keyvan:KVNSingle     (Something Else)
KVNSINGLE3:Keyvan:KVNSingle     (Something Else)

i think nothing cant help as an Example so it maked this
main artists are :
shajairan
eftekhari
remixers(mashup) artists are :

mehryad
keyvan

please help me what can i do in this situation :
in first i thought , ok
i can add 'album artist' for those tracks that keyvan adn mehryad created for shajarian or eftekhari
like this:
Title:Artist:Album:Album Artist

MHRDT1-1:Mehryad:MHRDALB1:Shajarian          (Shajarian Vocal Used)
KVNT1-1:Keyvan:KVNALB1:Shajarian          (Shajarian Vocal Used)

and i thought with my selft if i do like this
when i serach for shajarian in 'album artist' according to main shajarian songs dont have 'album artist' i can see all of shajarian remixed by anyone. and yes it really was. i was happy. but when i serached for mexers album. i saw that PA splited albums

i need something like this 

Not sure how many ways I can rephrase this, but if you want two or more songs to be considered as part of one album, their Album Artist tags must be identical. Precisely what you put in them is up to you, as long as it's exactly the same for each track in the same album.

If you put any different content in the Album Artist tags, you will create different albums. That's the point.

Andre

i know this

but how can i have both situation?

remixer albums tracks aside together normally and also a different sets include all remixed songs by different remixer artist for an specefic Main Artist

if tried to add addition album artist with split symbols that was remixer name for all of them

but did not work

i expect it add another album that has all remixer artist album

it creates new album for each track with new long album artist contains both remixer and main artist name

i hope you got my means :)

2 hours ago, Mohammad Hossein said:

i know this

but how can i have both situation?

remixer albums tracks aside together normally and also a different sets include all remixed songs by different remixer artist for an specefic Main Artist

if tried to add addition album artist with split symbols that was remixer name for all of them

but did not work

i expect it add another album that has all remixer artist album

it creates new album for each track with new long album artist contains both remixer and main artist name

i hope you got my means :)

Think of it like going to the store to buy that CD. What Artist name would you expect to find that disc under? That is the Albumartist. All other performers that appear on any of the individual tracks are listed as Artist1; Artist2; Artist3; etc.

The only exception to this is for compilation albums where every track Artist is different, then your Albumartist becomes "Various Aertists" or "Compilations" or something similar you prefer for your library.

yes i agree with you 100

i just wnt to know what can i do in this situation?

yes, album should have only one album artist

but what can i do?

i want to see all remixed songs for a main artist from different remixers in a place

also in albums see the normally remixers album

not separeted

isnt really possible ?

14 minutes ago, Mohammad Hossein said:

yes i agree with you 100

i just wnt to know what can i do in this situation?

but what can i do?

i want to see all remixed songs for a main artist from different remixers in a place

also in albums see the normally remixers album

not separeted

isnt really possible ?

Well there is the option to duplicate the songs, setting the original group to have one Albumartist and Artists as you wish. Then with the copied set use the alternative Albumartist and Artists you wish to use. This might help for one or two special cases. But you will use up valuable storage space if you do it a lot.

It's your library, you can tag it any way you want. But how Poweramp works won't change to accommodate unusual usage.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

Well there is the option to duplicate the songs, setting the original group to have one Albumartist and Artists as you wish. Then with the copied set use the alternative Albumartist and Artists you wish to use. This might help for one or two special cases. But you will use up valuable storage space if you do it a lot.

It's your library, you can tag it any way you want. But how Poweramp works won't change to accommodate unusual usage.

Maybe Maybe

with add the main artist as artist2 with an additional word like remix

MHRDT1-1:Mehryad; Shajarian remix:MHRDALB1 (Shajarian Vocal Used)

MHRDT1-2:Mehryad; Eftekhari remix:MHRDALB1 (Eftekhari Vocal Used)

MHRDT1-3:Mehryad:MHRDALB1 (Something Else)

if i use just main artist for artist to i cant see just remixes. it lost between whole of shajarian(main artist) songs

i think duplicate is not a good idea

if you have another idea

please tell🙏

16 minutes ago, Mohammad Hossein said:

if you have another idea

please tell🙏

Well I have shared how it typically would be done, which is what I would do. This has been suggested by others here already as well. And I have also provided an alternative that would get you the desired results as well. If neither of there are good for you, then you will need to find your own solution.

You know now how Poweramp operates and you have the tools to make the changes you need. The rest is up to you. 

52 minutes ago, Mohammad Hossein said:

but what can i do?

As you yourself have said: "album should have only one album artist". That is your answer.

If songs have different Album Artist tags, they will be treated as different albums. There is no way around that, that is how it is meant to work.

The tag can contain as much text as you want, and can contain symbols to create several names for use in lists, but the whole string must be exactly the SAME for every track which you want to appear as one album.

Unfortunately, rephrasing the question won't change the answer.

I wonder if there's anything you could do with the Composer tag? It has no special significance as far as album grouping goes, and can contain multiple entries, and is searchable in its own right. You can put anything you like in there. It won't be shown in Artist lists, nor in the Player Screen, though.

Andre

• Solution

thanks you both

i think i got my answer.

album should have only one album artist

and for my situation probably best solution is using artist2 tag with put Main Artist + remix that create a new artist that if i open it i see all remixed by any remixer that worked on this specefic Main artist songs.

according to i tag my album title like 'artist name album title' i didnt use album artist and let it empty. so i thought maybe its good using this useless(for me) tag to do this organization but it seems its really not. 

If the Album Artist tag is empty, the fallback option is to use the track Artist tag for grouping purposes - which of course only works if the tracks within an album are all by the same artist. Better to be safe and have an Album Artist tag if you can.

21 minutes ago, Mohammad Hossein said:

album should have only one album artist

Almost right. You can actually have whatever you like listed in the Album Artist tag - including two names separated by semicolons for example. But whatever overall text you decide use, it must be the SAME text for every track in an album.

Thus these three tracks would be grouped together into one "Hits Collection" album:

Title: First Song
Album: Hits Collection
Artist: Artist A
Album Artist: Artist 1 ; Artist 2
Title: Second Song
Artist: Artist B ; Artist C
Album Artist: Artist1 ; Artist 2
Title: Third Song
Artist: Artist D
Album Artist: Artist 1 ; Artist 2

The two items which cause all of them to be considered as being part of the same album are the Album name "Hits Collection" and the entire Album Artist string "Artist1  ; Artist 2"

Andre

Posted (edited)

there is a porblem about both artist and album artist

when i use split symbol to create more artists for a song it create three

1- artist(album artist) for "artist1; artist2"

2- artist(album artist) for "artist1"

3- artist(album artist) for "artist2"

is there any way to remove "artist1; artist2" ?

EDIT:
there is an option 
Show Unsplit Combined Categoriez
i disabled it and now just show me 2 and 3

27 minutes ago, Mohammad Hossein said:

is there any way to remove "artist1; artist2" ?

Turn off that option in Settings=>Library=>Lists=>'Show Unsplit Combined Categories'

I that assume splitting out the individual names is now working for you in Album Artists, as well as just track Artists. The controls should work on both tag types.

Andre