Confused by duplicate(?) settings in Poweramp Equalizer app

Posted (edited)

So in Equalizer settings I see a screen for Tone and another for Compressor (in Advanced section)

What's the strategy/reason for using the above settings compared with:

• Tone option on the main (left hand) app panel?
  • Compressor option in the main (center) app panel

Edited by Wibbly

The options in the PA Equalizer=>Settings=>Equalizer page are global controls which govern how these functions work internally (for example the frequencies that are used as the central 'target' point when you turn the Bass or Treble knobs up or down).

The controls in the actual EQ screens are more about the level of local adjustment required at the time of listening. 

Andre 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the quick response. I guess Tone is similar.

For the controls in the actual EQ screens I'm unclear how to set them. For in-car use what I want to achieve is boosting the volume of quiet passages only. Is that possible using compressor settings? Which ones would I use for that without affecting the higher volume passages?

Edited by Wibbly

23 minutes ago, Wibbly said:

Thanks for the quick response. I guess Tone is similar.

For the controls in the actual EQ screens I'm unclear how to set them. For in-car use what I want to achieve is boosting the volume of quiet passages only. Is that possible using compressor settings? Which ones would I use for that without affecting the higher volume passages?

Tone controls and compressor are two completely different adjustments.

Consider the bass and treble tone controls to be the most basic 2-band EQ for very simple and quick adjustment of the lowest and highest frequencies.

Compression is a DSP effect that effectively crushes the dynamic range of the entire spectrum. Dynamic range is the difference between the loudest and quietest passages of music. The Compressor closes this gap so that the loudest parts aren't as dramatic and the quiet parts aren't as subtle.

4 hours ago, MotleyG said:

Tone controls and compressor are two completely different adjustments.

Consider the bass and treble tone controls to be the most basic 2-band EQ for very simple and quick adjustment of the lowest and highest frequencies.

Compression is a DSP effect that effectively crushes the dynamic range of the entire spectrum. Dynamic range is the difference between the loudest and quietest passages of music. The Compressor closes this gap so that the loudest parts aren't as dramatic and the quiet parts aren't as subtle.

Thanks for the reply. I meant in terms of tone controls being in two places in the app. 

5 hours ago, Wibbly said:

Thanks for the reply. I meant in terms of tone controls being in two places in the app. 

They aren't. The Tone control knobs in the main EQ screen allow you to set how much boost - e.g. +6dB - you want applied to the Bass or Treble in the current song. The Settings page allows you to configure the target frequency for those knobs, and how wide the boosted zone should be (Q).

Andre