Poweramp Equalizer may not work with Spatial Audio + Hi-Res option + Dolby Atmos track in Apple music on Android 14

Wyzlow

I have tried to use the Poweramp EQ with apple music. It randomly stops when song changes.  First I thought it was the spatial audio, disabling it, that worked for one song and then it stopped working again.    So randomly after it stops, I have tried to restart phone which randomly works sometimes and doesn work after 2 songs.    So I think different songs have different quality and the eq stops working. I have disabled battery optimization on the app, restored defaults, Apple music was toggled on and off in the power amp eq, still same issue.    It works on spotify well. When it stops working with apple music, I switch to spotify, it works with that and then when I switch back to apple, it works for 1 or 2 songs and then it stops.    Crossfade enabled and disabled on apple music, both have the same issue    Currently on Android 14, one UI 6.    

@Wyzlow Just tried Apple Music 4.5.0 with Equalizer build 980 on Pixel 6@Android 14 and S22@One UI6.0 and it works fine (all default settings in both apps). 

If it works then stops (and you can notice it reloads when you open Equalizer from launcher), it may indicate the app is killed in the background - enable Equalizer to work in background and enable its notification. Also, modifying Known Player options from the default settings may break equalization - ensure Restore defaults is used in Equalizer -> Settings -> Equalizer -> Known Players -> Apple Music.

@maxmp I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app multiple times from playstore, but I'm getting Poweramp eq version on at 974.    How to get the 980 version ?  Also I see that the eq stops working when the audio quality changes from Losless to Dolby audio. Tbh I have already disabled samsung eq, turned off Dolby audio and changed eq to normal in samsung settings.    Im guessing the Dolby audio quality is breaking it ? Not sure         

Screenshot_20231218_000354_Poweramp Equalizer.jpg

@maxmp For example, try this track with HI res losless enabled,it shows Dolby atmos if you see in the screenshot. The eq does not work on this                Also make sure to enable the spatial audio, not sure if that is the culprit 

Screenshot_20231218_001154_Apple Music.jpg

@Wyzlow I can't find this song (with Dolby Atmos label) - you can share a link if it doesn't work specifically with it. I tested with lossless and Hi-Res settings as well and it worked fine for songs from this playlist: https://music.apple.com/ru/playlist/dolby-atmos-best-of/pl.3651b01cb53c4f38aa9b50c0489f94aa?l=en-GB&ls), but I would not recommend using Hi-Res option this with Equalizer as 1. on Androids sample rate may not be properly reported to the equalizer, so you get incorrect equalization in such cases, 2. you're removing hi-res/lossless property by equalizing this way. Stick to standard definition Lossless.

Anyway processing Hi-Res and to some extent lossless audio with equalizers and dsps contradicts point of these high accuracy audio formats, wastes battery charge, and increases CO2 in the atmosphere;-)

@maxmp It's available as Dolby atmos if you enabled spatial audio in apple music settings.    I think disabling the  spatial has solved it for now.    I'll test now and report back in 24 hours.   Regarding the HI res audio, thanks for the information. I'll try the standard lossless.    So as per your suggestion, if we use HI res lossless we don't need an EQ ? I just want a good bass, without eq it seems low for me   

@Wyzlow it quite hard to follow you as your disclose your settings with each post one by one;-) There are dozen in Apple Music and hundreds in Poweramp Equalizer, so this topic may get too long. This is why I specifically ask for steps to reproduce and the changed options in both Apple Music and Poweramp Equalizer.If some specific option breaks equalization, you can either disable the option to return equalization, or prefer that specific option over equalization.

I'll also edit topic subject as it's not related to the actual problem.

I can't reproduce the issue with the sole Spatial Audio option enabled as well. The issue is reproducible with Spatial Audio + Dobly Atmos marked tracks only.

EDIT: the investigation shown that Apple either doesn't want their "spatial" (Dolby Atmos marked tracks) audio to be equalized or there is a bug as they don't report audio session. In both cases Advanced Player Tracking helps with this, though listening that "Atmos" content in headphones is like listening with head in a steel pot. The Spatial Audio options also "sticks" and can be only disabled by Force closing Apple music (from (i) menu -> Force Close).