Tag editing by batch

Would it be possible to improve the tag editing feature to be able to modify all songs from an album at the same time. For exemple editing the album artist for all files into the album folder? Sometimes I have to manually modify a lot of tags for a lot of files that are scattered by having different artists for the same album and I just want to regroup them together quickly. Thanks anyway. PA is awesome.

I already use musicbrainz on my computer. I have a very large collection and so I always end up missing some hidden secondary artists tags and it would be very convenient to be able to fix this directly on PA since there is already a tag editing feature. I don't need all the features of a tag editing software either. Just a batch edit by album. In any case thanks if you ever consider it.

Max has always been rather cautious about the idea of features that edit multiple files in one operation, partly due to potential corruption if Android decides to kill the process during a lengthy run - although possibly creating a status notification message might help prevent that from happening?

I do agree it would be nice to be able to make quick tag edits, update artwork, etc on multiple songs at the same time though. Perhaps the easiest way to make it a useful feature generally - rather than just for Albums, which is just one category out of more than a dozen - would be to allow Info/Tags (and thus Edit Tags) to work on multi-selected items in a list. By supporting multiple selections, you would be able to update all of the tags in a folder, an artist, a Genre, or even based on your own Search results.

If implemented, tags that are the same across all of the selected song files would be displayed showing their full text, while tags which contain varied contents in the different files would be shown as "<various>" - just like a batch tag editor program such as TagScanner does when it shows multi-selections. After editing, any changed items would be written back to all of the files, with a suitable warning prompt "Warning: this will update the tag data in xxx audio files. Continue?".

Andre

Thanks for clarifying better than I would have. Yes that is exactly what I had in mind. And even though I'm not a programmer, I would think it is probably sufficiently easy that it would be worth doing. Especially for a player with that many in depth features and customizations, it really is the only feature I could find missing that some other players might have. I really hope it is taken into consideration.

• 1 month later...

The use of an external application for complex TAGS editing is absolutely reasonable,

however, it would be very useful to edit the main TAGS of a whole album directly in PA.

Sometimes, after adding a new album it happens to note a mistyping in the artist or album name,

it would be great to have the possibility to correct that error in PA.