Jump to content

How to keep screen alive when driving the car and turning off when the car stops


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

So my android tablet is set to 1 minute display time out.

I would like the screen to show me the visualisations when driving the car, but i would like it to stop doing that when i turn off the ignition.

I have found the Turn screen on always checkbox, but that will always keep it on. I need it to turn off once the car ignition is off (bluetooth disconnects?) and it can't just be not detecting a charge anymore as i use a powerblock to charge the tablet.

Is there a way to make the player stop doing the 'keep the screen always on' once bluetooth disconnects option ?

PS i don't really understand what the sleep option does. Could someone help me understand? I was thinking i could use this but it doesn't seem to do what i thought it would do đŸ™‚

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Sleep feature is the opposite of what you want, it tells the app to stop playing and after a set period of time (for example to listen to something while you are going to sleep, and stop after a while rather than continuing to play all night).

Visualisations should ideally never be used while driving anyway - for driver distraction / safety reasons - so it's probably unlikely that any special mode would be added to keep them displayed while driving.

There have been requests to make the 'Screen Always On' feature only trigger while the app is actively playing, or only while the device is on external power, which if implemented might go some way towards what you are asking?

You could also use a task management app (such as Samsung's free Bixby Routines, or Tasker) to extend or disable the device's screen timeout function whenever a specific Bluetooth device (i.e. your car) is connected.

Andre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, atv2 said:

Is there a way to make the player stop doing the 'keep the screen always on' once bluetooth disconnects option ?

Yes, you can use Tasker to do that.

You have to create a profile in Tasker that will start music playback (with Poweramp) once a particular bluetooth device is connected. 

In that profile, you also have to add Turn Screen On, and launch an app (which will be Poweramp in this case).

In Poweramp, you will set Always keep screen on in this app.

Back In Tasker, set another profile that will close an app (Poweramp) when bluetooth is disconnected. 

This will give you what you want. 

Bencherished 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bencherished said:

Yes, you can use Tasker to do that.

You have to create a profile in Tasker that will start music playback (with Poweramp) once a particular bluetooth device is connected. 

In that profile, you also have to add Turn Screen On, and launch an app (which will be Poweramp in this case).

In Poweramp, you will set Always keep screen on in this app.

Back In Tasker, set another profile that will close an app (Poweramp) when bluetooth is disconnected. 

This will give you what you want. 

Bencherished 

Cool. I could probably simplify by just turning on "always turn on screen" in power amp and then one profile in taser that says when bluetooth is disconnected, turn "always turn on screen off" ?

I don't know how tasker works exactly so not sure if that's possible. But otherwise as you suggest will work.

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

The Sleep feature is the opposite of what you want, it tells the app to stop playing and after a set period of time (for example to listen to something while you are going to sleep, and stop after a while rather than continuing to play all night).

Visualisations should ideally never be used while driving anyway - for driver distraction / safety reasons - so it's probably unlikely that any special mode would be added to keep them displayed while driving.

There have been requests to make the 'Screen Always On' feature only trigger while the app is actively playing, or only while the device is on external power, which if implemented might go some way towards what you are asking?

You could also use a task management app (such as Samsung's free Bixby Routines, or Tasker) to extend or disable the device's screen timeout function whenever a specific Bluetooth device (i.e. your car) is connected.

Andre

Thank you. Hmm good point on safety. Actively playing probably yes. Connected to external power, normally i would say yes except i have a little device in between my tablet and power bank to keep it from going to sleep mode, which would probably defeat that.

I'll probably give tasker a go in the meantime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@atv2 Poweramp does not have conditional profiles, so I would suggest leaving the "Screen On" feature within Poweramp disabled, and use the features of the task management app to set the Android screen to "Always On" whenever your car is connected via BT, and switch back to normal timed mode when that BT device disconnects. You could also use the same task to do other stuff, such as launch Poweramp on the specific BT connection, if you wish.

Andre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

@atv2 Poweramp does not have conditional profiles, so I would suggest leaving the "Screen On" feature within Poweramp disabled, and use the features of the task management app to set the Android screen to "Always On" whenever your car is connected via BT, and switch back to normal timed mode when that BT device disconnects. You could also use the same task to do other stuff, such as launch Poweramp on the specific BT connection, if you wish.

Andre

I'll try that. Can a app like tasker set Poweramp to "Always on" ? As my android tablet natively doesn't support that, max is like 30 minutes before screensaver/timeout kicks in.

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@atv2 Hmm, I didn't think of that, I was thinking that it was possible to turn the screen timeout function off completely in Android, but having checked you can only do that using the "Stay Awake While Charging" Developer Option. Mind you, as presumably your device would be externally powered while you are driving, that would do the job for you. And you can still force the screen to turn off at other times while charging at home using the power button.

Andre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Ă—
Ă—
  • Create New...