Create a Artist Based Playlist

I have created a new playlist called Driving Muz. But now that I have created a new playlist I do not know how to add an artist to the playlist without doing it song by song. Is there any way I can add all of the music from a given artist without doing it song by song? I can not do it by artist album either.

Sure, just long-press on the artist's name in the main 'Artists' list, so they show as ticked, and tap '+Playlist'. That will add every song by that artist, in your sequential album order, to the Playlist that you choose.

Alternatively, if you want to be a bit more selective, first tap on the artist's name so you can see all their albums. Long-press on any album, and you can then tick as many other albums as you like. Finally tap '+Playlist' to add all those ticked albums to a Playlist.

Or, if you only want to choose some specific songs, tap on the artist's name and then tap on 'All Artist Songs'. You can then use the same process as above to select as many individual songs as you like, before using '+Playlist'.

Tip: while you are in the process of selecting items (could be artists, albums or songs) you can long-press on an item further down the list to "multi-select" all of the items in between, which saves a lot of clicking. You can carry on selecting more blocks too, by first ticking one item and then long-pressing on something else further down (or up) the list. 

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Sure, just long-press on the artist's name in the main 'Artists' list, so they show as ticked, and tap '+Playlist'. That will add every song by that artist, in your sequential album order, to the Playlist that you choose.

Alternatively, if you want to be a bit more selective, first tap on the artist's name so you can see all their albums. Long-press on any album, and you can then tick as many other albums as you like. Finally tap '+Playlist' to add all those ticked albums to a Playlist.

Or, if you only want to choose some specific songs, tap on the artist's name and then tap on 'All Artist Songs'. You can then use the same process as above to select as many individual songs as you like, before using '+Playlist'.

Tip: while you are in the process of selecting items (could be artists, albums or songs) you can long-press on an item further down the list to "multi-select" all of the items in between, which saves a lot of clicking. You can carry on selecting more blocks too, by first ticking one item and then long-pressing on something else further down (or up) the list. 

Andre

Hi Andre, when I did the long press on the album there was nothing on the popup about adding to a playlist. See the screenshot as to what menu I got with the long press.

Screenshot_20230313_170359_Poweramp.jpg

By the way, for the future I've put in a request with @maxmp to hopefully make these revised icons a bit clearer by retaining the words 'Playlist' and 'Queue' even if the action is modified via long-press.

So the 'Insert at Start' versions would look like:
image.png

The 'Insert Shuffled' versions would look like:
image.png

And the 'Add to End' versions (i.e. the default modes for Playlists and the Queue) would look like:
image.png

As an aside, I've never really understood what 'Play Next' actually achieves beyond Inserting at the Start of the Queue, which I felt more logically should be part of the '>>Queue' function. What I had originally hoped was that 'Play Next' would just switch playback over to the newly chosen song/category - but with the action occurring after the current song has finished, rather than triggering immediately as happens if you just tap on a song.

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

By the way, for the future I've put in a request with @maxmp to hopefully make these revised icons a bit clearer by retaining the words 'Playlist' and 'Queue' even if the action is modified via long-press.

So the 'Insert at Start' versions would look like:
image.png

The 'Insert Shuffled' versions would look like:
image.png

And the 'Add to End' versions (i.e. the default modes for Playlists and the Queue) would look like:
image.png

As an aside, I've never really understood what 'Play Next' actually achieves beyond Inserting at the Start of the Queue, which I felt more logically should be part of the '>>Queue' function. What I had originally hoped was that 'Play Next' would just switch playback over to the newly chosen song/category - but with the action occurring after the current song has finished, rather than triggering immediately as happens if you just tap on a song.

Andre

+1 to this

i hope it gets implemented on the next update. it's always confusing and even more for new users.

@ihaspei The optional Insert at Start and Shuffle modes for '+Playlist' and '>>Queue' were added in build 934, but with everything else going on during that build release cycle, revisiting this feature to tweak and tidy up the wording didn't happen at the time, hence the minor confusion now.

At the same time, I also suggested clarifying the long-press pop-up menu to words-only, as it currently doesn't make the choices any clearer:

image.png

I suggested updating the pop-up menu to: "Insert into Playlist at Start", "Insert Shuffled into Playlist", "Add to Playlist at End". Same idea with the >>Queue pop-up.

I agree these are pretty trivial changes in the big scheme of features, but they would make this facility much easier for new users (and existing ones) to understand. 

Andre