UTF-8 Characters Not Displayed Correctly with MKAs

thomascheney

When MKAs have special vowels (ú, etc.) or characters from languages that do not use the Roman alphabet (Japanese, etc.) in the tags, they are not displayed correctly. Tags that I generate on my own with the UTF-8 encoding or with other programs such as MP3Tag do not display correctly in Poweramp but do display correctly in all other programs I've tried.

Poweramp version: build-945-bundle-play Full Version 64 bit.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S21

MKA is not a very common audio format (the container being more used for video) so perhaps you could send a sample file containing a few simple accented letters that don't work, either by uploading to Dropbox or Google Drive, or email to gpmaxmpz@gmail.com. Add a comment in here and DM @maxmp to say you've sent it (and where from) so he can look out for it.

[Edit] I just found an MKA file in my testing folder, and added a few special characters to its Title tag using MP3Tag ( " André ⓵⓶  ➊➋ " ) and while they work fine in foobar2000 and VLC on my PC, I also found that they do not show correctly in Poweramp, either in the Library or in Info/Tags. My other go-to tag editor program, TagScanner doesn't even read MKA files at all, so I can't cross-check it there.

Andre

I just looked at the tag data with a hex editor, and the Title tag containing special characters seems to be using the condensed form of UTF-8 where regular ASCII characters are coded using a single byte, then $C3A9 is used for é and $E2xxxx for ⓵, ⓶, etcPA is treating the whole string (including $C3 and $E2) as simple 8-bit Extended ASCII though, as there is nothing at the start of the string to indicate otherwise.

TagName = TITLE
- Tag 0x05a3 (5 bytes):
  373294: 54 49 54 4c 45                                  [TITLE]
TagString = Title Here Andr.. ...... ......
- Tag 0x0487 (31 bytes):
  37329c: 54 69 74 6c 65 20 48 65 72 65 20 41 6e 64 72 c3 [Title Here Andr.]
  3732ac: a9 20 e2 93 b5 e2 93 b6 20 e2 9e 8a e2 9e 8b    [. ...... ......]

I'm not an expert on how mixed-modes should be coded so will have to leave this to Max to have a look at.

Andre