Search by comments

I suggest adding a comment search. The fact is that in the tags I (and I'm not the only one) prescribe not only genres, but also the mood or style of music. And in genres it is inconvenient to do this, since it is simply not the right thing to do. Therefore, such tags should be written in comments, but there is no search for comments 🤷

Thank you for your attention, I hope you will take my offer into consideration

Poweramp can only perform fast searches on tag fields which are permanently stored in its local database - such as Artist, Title, Genre, Year, etc. The potentially larger tags (Comment, Lyrics, etc) are not retained in the database for every song in the Library, so searching through them would presumably mean opening and reading the contents of every single file again, which would be impractically slow on any decent sized music collection.

Andre

+1, I've also got some keywords stored in comments that I'd love to be able to search. I do "make up" my own genres and put them in the genre tab though, genres are inherently subjective so I don't find it to be such a huge issue. And it's a huge help to quickly search for certain "mood" music, as you also mentioned.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:39 PM, andrewilley said:

The potentially larger tags (Comment, Lyrics, etc) are not retained in the database for every song in the Library, so searching through them would presumably mean opening and reading the contents of every single file again, which would be impractically slow on any decent sized music collection.

There should be an option implemented where you can choose for the database to incorporate larger tags. Music players such as Foobar search comment tags too, so it should be possible for Power Amp to too.

Edited by T4g

• 2 months later...

I'd like to cast a vote for this idea as well.  I had the thought tonight of how great it would be to be able to search the comments tag because if you listen to / collect live streams there is often a tracklisting stored there. That would be an incredibly useful search ability!