Question about importing library and playlist to new phone

Madmax

Hi guys,

I currently have a Galaxy S9 and have had it for a little over 3 years. I've been using Poweramp since the default samsung music app had started going downhill shortly after I bought the phone. I know that the new phones no longer have the SD card ports which is where my whole library is stored (about 70gig). I contacted Samsung to ask the best method of transferring info and they claim that the Smartswitch app is capable of this.

Does anyone have any experience in doing this successfully? Considering the time invested in building this, I would like to be able to transfer my library, playlists and album art files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've ditched the Samsung S series and went with a Galaxy A70 for my last upgrade (from a Note 3). Half the price, and I still have my SD Card and 3.5mm headphone socket. The newer S-series models have been reducing features and increasing prices to a ridiculous extent. The only thing I actually miss is wireless charging, but with super-fast USB-C charging even that hardly bothers me any more.

I think their Smartswitch thingy can do this, but quite honestly I think I'd just put the SD Card into a PC (or use a USB card reader) and copy everything to the next device manually via USB cable. You could even get an OTG connector for less than a fiver, and plug a card reader directly into your new phone.

Album Art files (if you mean downloaded ones) are not stored on the SD Card, but in a folder structure on internal storage called /Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/ . Make a backup of that whole folder, and copy it over to your new device. Note: on Android 11, the new folder will not have the underscore, the data folders will be in /Android/data/com.maxmpz.audioplayer/files/.

Andre

Thank you very much for your help!

I may do just as you said and strongly consider the Galaxy A70. Despite having a set of wireless headphones, I like the option of being able to use my wired sets as well especially at places like the gym etc. where I could see myself easily losing the bluetooth ones. Not to mention the SD card slot.

The 'A' series now seems to be up to 'Ax2' models now (e.g. A52, A72). The cameras maybe aren't quite as good as the S-series, but they are perfectly acceptable for general use. If you want to do a bit of future-proofing, look for ones that support 5G too (not all of them do yet).

I could not longer justify twice the price for an 'S', especially as I really dislike the rounded screen edges on the high-end S phones - a flat screen is easier to use and takes a tempered glass screen protector better.

Andre