Parsing multiple Genre tags

Does the Genre seperator strictly has to be a ";" without spaces? MusicBee tags multiple genres as "Hard Rock; Heavy Metal" with a space after the semi-colon, and those genres are shown in Poweramp as "Hard Rock:Heavy Metal", as a unique genre. Do I have to re-tag my files without the leading spaces? Sorry if this question is kindda stupid, I'm new to Poweramp.

They ignore whitespace. So if you use semicolon as an example, you could write your tags as "Hard Rock;Heavy Metal", "Hard Rock; Heavy Metal" or "Hard Rock ; Heavy Metal" and the song would still appear in the two categories "Hard Rock" and "Heavy Metal".

You can define your own choice of separator characters too:
image.png

Andre

@andrewilley Thank you for clearing that up. I just realised the problem is not the symbol formatting at all. It's just that MusicBee tags multiple genres in seperate TCON tags (one TCON tag for each genre). Seems like Poweramp appends each TCON tag in a file (like this: "Hard Rock:Heavy Metal") and uses that as a genre. Is there a solution to this? Or should I start a feature request thread for this?

Poweramp_multiple_genres.jpg

I didn't think PA supported reading multiple instances of the same tag in ID3 at all (it's not part of the ID3 spec, or it wasn't previously anyway) so I'm surprised you don't just see one of the genres rather than getting them all concatenated together. What happens if you try editing a file with something like TagScanner to create a single tag with semicolons (which is what PA is expecting)?

Moved this discussion to its own thread as requested.

Andre

Thanks for creating the thread. If I create a single tag with either semicolons or "//", the genres are seperated correctly and displayed as expected. Multiple tags must be the issue here. I tested several other players and Gonemad seems to fully support multiple tags. BlackPlayer only recognizes the first TCON tag and ignores the rest. Since PA already recognizes all the TCON tags and concatenates them, I guess it should be easy to implement the seperation?

I'm sure it would be technically possible. It already works for Vorbis tagging (where having multiple instances of the same tag name is allowed in the spec) so even though the original ID3 spec did not technically allow for two tags of the same name, I'm sure Max could adjust his parsing code to accommodate files that apparently do it anyway.

The latest spec does officially support multiple fields within the same tag though (beyond just including a semicolon in the content): "Version 2.4 of the specification prescribes that all text fields (the fields that start with a T, except for TXXX) can contain multiple values separated by a null character. The null character varies by character encoding." I suspect this might be what is contained in your files, and PA is interpreting the null character as a colon?

Andre

Maybe. But I don't know how to find that out for sure. Each tag editor seems to show the values in their own way. Mp3tag as "Hard Rock\\Heavy Metal", Kid3 as "Hard Rock|Heavy Metal", Picard as "Hard Rock; Heavy Metal" and so on. MusicBee's own Tag Inspector shows the values in separate tags.

1245157948_Screenshotfrom2020-11-2215-38-50.png.6a5792f8d3a110291dc91b36a5e6a2d0.png

Notice the three TCON tags in the above screenshot.

16 hours ago, Sandaru Jayasekara said:

Maybe. But I don't know how to find that out for sure. Each tag editor seems to show the values in their own way. Mp3tag as "Hard Rock\\Heavy Metal", Kid3 as "Hard Rock|Heavy Metal", Picard as "Hard Rock; Heavy Metal" and so on. MusicBee's own Tag Inspector shows the values in separate tags.

1245157948_Screenshotfrom2020-11-2215-38-50.png.6a5792f8d3a110291dc91b36a5e6a2d0.png

Notice the three TCON tags in the above screenshot.

@andrewilley Nevermind this. You were right. According to this thread, MusicBee indeed uses the null character thing, not multiple tags. All PA has to do is treat the null character as another one of 'Symbols to Split Multiple Genres', and everything will be fine :)

Archived