Playback Stops When Using 3.5mm TRS Cable To Bluetooth Speaker

tom

I recently purchased a JBL Charge 4 Bluetooth speaker. Using a Samsung Galaxy S9 (Android 10) with a shielded 15 foot 3.5mm TRS cable into the speaker, Youtube plays perfectly with no dropouts. However, using Poweramp 3 build 884, the audio usually starts to play and then stops after only a few seconds. If I unplug the cable and plug it back in, it will work again for a brief time. How can this be solved?

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

You say it's a Bluetooth speaker, but you also mention an AUX cable too. What output are you actually using? Long-press on the metadata line at the bottom of the player screen to confirm. Try Settings > Audio > Output > Restore Defaults.

Andre

BTW Andre, I have the latest Beta version of PA. I have been using Hi-Res Output. My new Galaxy S9 960U USA stock unrooted version supports up to 32-bit/384kHz audio. I had Bluetooth turned off. I noticed Bluetooth seems to limit playback to 16 bit 44 khz. I have some Hi-Res FLAC files (as high as 24 bit 192 khz) and I was able to detect a difference (through the speaker) with the highs sounding better and smoother on some tracks vs Bluetooth. I also pulled out an older 3 foot 3.5mm TRS cable just to make sure it wasn't the new cable or the cable length (at 15 feet). The 3 foot cable exhibited the same dropouts. However, after I reset the audio to default, it appears it's working better with far fewer dropouts. OpenSL might be more stable than Hi-Res but I need to do more testing.

Regarding the defaults, I noticed default playback is OpenSL. But with OpenSL, playback of 24 bit 192 khz FLAC files seem to be limited to 16 bit 48 khz. So I like to use the Hi-Res playback mode, AKA Experimental. For some reason, when I drop the sample rate to 96 khz or lower, the bit depth drops from 24 to 16. I haven't touched the Java mode yet. Is there a FAQ page detailing the difference between the 3 playback modes you can point me towards?

The type of cable or speaker should make no difference to PA, the firmware and software doesn't know the difference between the cheapest 3.5mm ear buds and gold--plated OFC cable connected to a high-end amp with expensive floor-standing speakers.

The JBL device you are using is a low/mid range portable speaker with a frequency range of 60Hz-20kHz, so I doubt that high-res processing would have much impact on the audio quality it can reproduce.

On Samsung devices, high-res output and bitrate are often locked as pairs, so 192kHz output forces 24-bit, and 384kHz uses 32-bit for example.

If you were just getting odd dropouts or glitches I would have suggested increasing the audio buffer, but if Poweramp's playback stops completely then it is something more serious. Could you do a test which creates this situation, and then when PA pauses/stops, use Settings > Get Support > Send Log to email a test log to gpmaxmpz @ gmail . com.

Andre

16 hours ago, andrewilley said:

1. The type of cable or speaker should make no difference to PA, the firmware and software doesn't know the difference between the cheapest 3.5mm ear buds and gold--plated OFC cable connected to a high-end amp with expensive floor-standing speakers.

2. The JBL device you are using is a low/mid range portable speaker with a frequency range of 60Hz-20kHz, so I doubt that high-res processing would have much impact on the audio quality it can reproduce.

3. On Samsung devices, high-res output and bitrate are often locked as pairs, so 192kHz output forces 24-bit, and 384kHz uses 32-bit for example.

4. If you were just getting odd dropouts or glitches I would have suggested increasing the audio buffer, but if Poweramp's playback stops completely then it is something more serious. Could you do a test which creates this situation, and then when PA pauses/stops, use Settings > Get Support > Send Log to email a test log to gpmaxmpz @ gmail . com.

Andre

1. The cable is new and it's long, so I wanted to make sure that the cable wasn't defective or had an excessive voltage drop due to it's length.

2. Certainly no astounding differences there. But depending on the type of material and the ear, there can be differences. However, it is of little significance when compared to the actual entertainment value of the music. IE., I'd rather see a great photograph shot with a 6 megapixel camera vs a crummy shot with a 50 megapixel camera, if that makes sense. Can't get hung up on the details too much. :) And I will add that this topic has apparently reached the level of religion and politics.

3. Yes, I see that is the case my mine. Also, no DVC over 192khz, so volume goes down on my phone when set over 192khz. For people with Super Audio CD material though, the higher rates can come in handy, especially with good headphones and the right source material.

4. Andre, after following your advice to do a reset, the playback issues (via cable) seem to be gone. Which is great, because now I have more options on how I can enjoy my new toy. However I will try to remember the log option if something else pops up. Thanks.

2. I couldn't agree more. I do sometimes wonder if we have a case of Emperor's New Clothes when the subject of upscaling to increase quality comes up. It does give more headroom for processing, and sometimes volume level, but that's not the same as an actual increase in objective quality. Same with 4K film releases on BluRay where the original theatrical release was only edited and mastered at 2K (HDR I get, if the original master included that extra range, but not the extra price for upscaling to 4K when any 4K TV is going to do that anyway).

3. There are limits on some devices (e.g. Samsung) as to what modes work with what output settings, Max posted the Samsung details a while ago, I'll see if I can find the post.

3. Glad you're sorted now anyway. I wonder if there had been an Android system update at some point, after which it's often a good idea to reset Outputs to the new defaults for the device/ROM.

[Edit]

Andre

Archived