Multiple Active Queues

Hello, guys!

It would be awesome if Poweramp had support for Multiple Active Queues.

I don't know if anyone has used Musicolet, but Musicolet has this wonderful feature, allowing you to create multiple queues, and jump between them, while remembering the position of each queue.

For example: you're listening to your..... I dunno..... jazz playlist.

You've shuffled the playlist, and are enjoying the music order -- the shuffle seems to be bringing out your favorites more often (love it when that happens).

You check your play queue and see that more favorites are on the way.

You like what you see, but want to switch another genre of music -- but still want to keep that currently playing queue on the song, and in the order it's shuffled.

You select a new playlist/album/composer (whatever you like), and begin playing.

Instead of canceling the jazz queue you were playing previously, a new, separate queue is created for your currently playing song(s).

Now, when you want to play a different song, or album, or playlist (whatever floats your boat), a new queue is created, alongside your previous queues, and you would be able to return to those previous queues, and resume from where you left off in each queue.

Ah, that was a long explanation, heh -- my apologies!

That in itself is what the Queue is for - to temporarily jump away from what you are listening to, in order to hear something specific that takes your fancy at the time, then go back to where you left off afterwards. However, in PA anyway, the Queue is not considered a normal playback method which is designed to be used for daily listening, so you ideally would not be using the queue the rest of the time (normal playback is by Category, or Playlist, which will be resumed after any temporarily Queued tracks are done).

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

@andrewilley I like how in Musicolet it automatically makes a queue for a playlist and you can remove/add songs to the queue and also change the order. Poweramp's could definitely benefit to having multiple queues to save where you was at in a playlist. Musicolet also had an option where you can shuffle the queue which was great for whenever I was using a playlist because in the upcoming songs I could remove them or move certain songs that I wanted to hear up the list. I used to use Musicolet until I switched to Poweramp for multiple genre support. 

The Queue is temporary, so perhaps a playlist might be a better option if it's something you might want to come back to later - and you can set Poweramp to remember your position within playlists (it's in the List Options menu) even if you listen to something else in the meantime. Both Playlists and the temporary Queue allow you to move items up and down, and to remove or add new ones.

Andre

It is just as easy to add songs to a Playlist as it is to add them to the Queue: long-press any song title in the Library (or select multiple songs, or even whole albums/folders/etc) and tap "+ Playlist" or ">> Queue" respectively.

When viewing any Playlist, long-press on a song and little slider gadgets will appear on the right of each song, and you can move any song up or down, and/or delete one or multiple songs. The same controls can be used with the temporary Queue.

If you tap on the three-dots menu icon while viewing a playlist, then select List Options, you can tick the memory setting for 'List Position' (and even 'Per-Track Progress' if you want to remember the position within individual songs too). That setting then applies to all Playlists.

Andre

@andrewilley Yea I know what you are saying, but if Poweramp would make the queue when you click "all songs" or something and if you were able to shuffle and edit the queue like in Musicolet it would be pretty cool. If I want to listen to a playlist or all my songs shuffle I use Musicolet. I'd recommend it over anything if you don't care about multiple genres on an album. I rarely ever use playlists anymore. I just listen to an album start to finish which is why I switched to Poweramp in the first place, it makes it easier to find an album I'm looking for. Thanks for the tips about the playlist its a little weird how it works.

Poweramp normally plays music by Category types - such as Albums, Folders, Artists, Playlists, etc. The sorting order of each category and its songs can be defined in advance by using List Options (By Track #, By Filename, By Date, etc). You can also use Shuffle to hear the songs in a random order. Playback will, by default anyway, continue until your whole Library has been played. Playlists are the only Category that include just a smaller list of songs, and you can re-order them manually by dragging tracks.

The Queue is a bonus 'temporary' category into which you can place anything you like, and it will interrupt normal playback to play those few tracks (shuffled or re-ordered if you wish) and then return to normal playback.

Andre

• 1 year later...