Album grouping doesn't work

Saphir

I have the problem that albums where is "Band/Orchestra" set with different entries, the Album is not grouped in Poweramp. I have enabled the option "Alben combine" which works for the field "Album Artist" but it doesn't make a different if I have no entry there or if I have for each track the same one.

I would like that Poweramp is comining the tracks to an album not bassed on "Band/Orchestra" but bassed on "Album" because it has a reason why they all have the same Album Titel.

That is what the Album Artist field is for, as you can't guarantee that any given Album Title will be unique. This fixed an issue which occurred Poweramp v2 where all songs with the same album title, but by different artists, were grouped as one album - so you could find a huge "Greatest Hits" album with mixed up tracks by Queen, Jason Donovan, Fleetwood Mac, and hundreds more. Or an album entitled "Up" would group together the same titled releases by R.E.M., Peter Gabriel and Shania Twain - plus maybe the Pixar film soundtrack for good measure.

Andre

Would be better to name an album "Queen Greatest Hits" 😉

It would make sence than, that tge field "Album" + "Album Artist" make an album unique. How I wrote, Poweramp is not using "Album Artist" it's using "Band/Orchestra" instead. How can I tell Poweramp to use the field "Album Artist"?

1 hour ago, Saphir said:

Would be better to name an album "Queen Greatest Hits"

Yes, that's how I always suggested people do it back in the Poweramp v2 days, and it's how I originally titled my own album rips too. Doesn't solve albums which genuinely and correctly have the exact same title though (such as my example of "Up").

So to make several songs appear as part of the same album in PA, both the Album Title and Album Artist tags should be matches in all the files. If no Album Artist tags are present, then it will try to use Album Title and Track Artist to build the contents of an album - which can cause things like various-artists collections to become split, as you pointed out. There are some extra controls in Settings > Library > Lists (such as 'Join Albums').

Poweramp uses the following generally accepted mapping conventions when reading ID3v2 tags (for more info see https://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html ) :
Track Title: TIT2 (aka "Title/songname/content description")
Album Title: TALB (aka "Album/Movie/Show title")
Track Artist: TPE1 (aka "Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)")
Album Artist: TPE2 (aka "Band/orchestra/accompaniment")

Andre 

My Poweramp is using the field "Band/Orchestra"

"Album" has for all tracks the same content

"Album Artist" has for all tracks the same content

but it doesn't work. If I look to Poweramp how he splits the album, is exactly splited to the contend of the field "Band/Orchestra"

With what you describe this shouldn't be. Why is Poweramp then doing it?

Michael

Anmerkung 2020-02-17 004405.jpg

Anmerkung 2020-02-17 004458.jpg

IMG_20200217_004653.jpg

As I said above, the tag convention that Poweramp (and most music software) uses to represent 'Album Artist' is TPE2, which in the original ID3v2 specs was indeed referred to as "Band/orchestra/accompaniment".  There was no specific Album Artist tag as far as I know, hence TPE2 was generally adopted for that purpose - see https://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html. If you check your files using programs like TagScanner, MP3tag, foobar2000, VLC, etc, then TPE2  (which you are still using to represent band/orchestra) is what you will see displayed under the label Album Artist.

What software are you using that shows Album Artist as a separate item from Band/Orchestra? I wonder what underlying tag it is using to store Album Artist in?

Andre

Thanks for your explanation that helped a lot 🙂

Your right there is no specific Album Artist tag. With you help I was able to look in ID3.org and in the specs og my player. My player is using TPE2 and TXXX for Album Artist, in the options I can combine booth fields. It's a bit Pitty that most of the Tag programs or player seem to use a wrong name for the TPE2. Album Artist and Band/Orchestra are not the same and so I used the tags. I think I have to change this and don't use the Album Artist.

Michael

Archived