path-based sorting sorting messed up

well I have experiencing this quite a while and well it also happens to be in the alpha so I decided to report this.

there is something weird in the path sorting when you go next/previous "list" (in this case folder) because the list may put the files at the end but it seems that the player itself doesnt think so.

let's say my base folder is /storage/extsd/music

then I can switch through like this.

1. /storage/extsd/music/a
  2. /storage/extsd/music/ b
  3. ...
  4. /storage/extsd/music/m
  5. /storage/extsd/music -> all the tracks in the parent folder
  6. /storage/extsd/music/n
  7. /storage/extsd/music/o
  8. ...

it is pretty weird that the parent folder's music lies somewhere in between the subfolders.

This occurs both in hierarchy and list mode, although in list mode the parent folder (with its tracks) is at the top and in hierarchy mode the tracks are at the bottom.

I only use List mode, and I see the parent folder shown at the start of the series of subfolders (which is the opposite of the way Windows would have done it, as Windows lists folders before files - but to be honest it makes more sense to me this way).

However I generally don't keep music files and folders mixed up at the same level anyway, I prefer having more control by creating an extra folder for non-categorised songs such as:
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Films/(Misc)/
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Films/Disney/
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Films/Harry Potter/
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Films/Star Wars/

That way I can place all the contents exactly where I want.

I also precede the folder names of album titles (within any given Artist folder) with the year so albums are listed chronologically rather than alphabetically, e.g:
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Music Albums/Chris de Burgh/1982 The Getaway/
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Music Albums/Chris de Burgh/1984 Man on the Line/
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Music Albums/Chris de Burgh/1986 Into the Light/
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Music Albums/Chris de Burgh/1988 Flying Colours/

Adele does that neatly for me anyway of course. :)

One thing to watch out for is that the sort order gets confused by partial names. For example, the following would be the correct alpha sort for these folder names:
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Disney/
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Disney Films/
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Disney Theme Parks/

However Poweramp's sort-by-path option sorts them as follows, which I think is a bug:
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Disney Films/
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Disney Theme Parks/
/storage/ExtSdCard/MusicFolders/Disney/

Andre

3 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I only use List mode, and I see the parent folder shown at the start of the series of subfolders (which is the opposite of the way Windows would have done it, as Windows lists folders before files - but to be honest it makes more sense to me this way).

yeah in the list.

and since this doesnt list the actual files but only an entry "parent folder", it does make sense.

but the problem is that the player (not the list) gets the path sort wrong.

well as long as you dont have tracks in a parent folder it is like the list.

the problem is as soon as you do have folders in the parent view the player behaves like the list in post one.

Archived