App closes when paused while playing in background

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 on 6.0.1.

When I'm listening to music and  it's in the background and I pause it or gets paused by another app like youtube. The app instantly closes, is removed from the notification dropdown, and I have to go relaunch the app. Most music apps allow you yo go back in the notification drop down and press play. It's very annoying and is the only reason I have yet to purchase.

I tried removing Poweramp from the battery optimization and also enabling the wakelock setting. This is the only issues preventing me from buying.

When PA is paused from the Notification bar, the 'mini-player' should stay visible in the notification pull-down menu (for a while at least, not sure how long). Have you got PA set to keep the service loaded? (in Settings > Misc > Tweaks)

Andre

Yes I tried with that keep service option and it instantly disappears. No matter what. Ive heard other S7 users with this issue as well.

Its weird. After it disappears if I unplug my headphones and plug them back, it starts playing the music again and performs as normal. The player reappears in the notification bar.

Goodness, you've waited a whole four days and you've run out of patience already?

Sometimes, bug tracking and fixing can take a lot longer than four days when there's only one developer for an app... and especially when it's a relatively trivial issue that apparently only affects one device, and isn't even in the core app but a notification message.

I know Max does read the reports in these forums, but just in case it gets missed here I'll move it to the correct 'bugs' subforum for you.

Andre

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 2:14 AM, andrewilley said:

Goodness, you've waited a whole four days and you've run out of patience already?

Sometimes, bug tracking and fixing can take a lot longer than four days when there's only one developer for an app... and especially when it's a relatively trivial issue that apparently only affects one device, and isn't even in the core app but a notification message.

I know Max does read the reports in these forums, but just in case it gets missed here I'll move it to the correct 'bugs' subforum for you.

Andre

I just want to make sure this is documented and fixed because I want to buy Poweramp as do many other S7 users but I wont until this issue is fixed.

No ETA  I'm afraid, but I don't think it's related to S7s in particular. I'm guessing that as it's relatively trivial (it doesn't affect the app at all, only the notification drop-down control panel when the app is over-ridden and no longer playing) that it may not have a very high priority though.

Andre

23 hours ago, andrewilley said:

No ETA  I'm afraid, but I don't think it's related to S7s in particular. I'm guessing that as it's relatively trivial (it doesn't affect the app at all, only the notification drop-down control panel when the app is over-ridden and no longer playing) that it may not have a very high priority though.

Andre

Rocket Player seems to work perfectly when choosing the keep service tweak. I don't want to buy 2 music players so I guess I'll have to get Rocket Player since Poweramp doesn't seems like a good buy =/

Really? It bothers you that much? If you want the notification controls to stay active, just pause PA before launching another audio-playing app rather than letting the other app force the issue. I never use the notification controls myself, but when I tested it that way they stayed visible for the rest of the day. Normally when I then want to go back to PA, I just launch the app from the icons along the bottom of the screen, which is much quicker and easier than dragging the notification panel open first.

Andre

On mine, if I pause PA via the notification panel controls (which I very rarely do) then the panel stays present clogging up my status bar whatever else I do in the meantime (play videos, other music, YouTube, Facebook videos, etc). This happens on my main device using the alpha test 703 release of PA, and a test device running the 588 release build. I wonder if it's related to your Android clearing up unnecessary memory usage?

I actually wish it would automatically go away after a bit like yours does in fact, as I don't want apps permanently cluttering up my phone's status bar and notification pulldown when I'm not using them.

Andre

I misspoke. Mine goes away when stopped via youtube, other sound players, etc. but runs in the background still. I can plug in headphones the next day and Poweramp launches, continuing to play where it stopped the previous day. So I don't think it's memor related but Im not a developer.

I can understand it going away after a minute or so but not 5 secs. The issue mainly is when I get say a snapchat its a quick video so when Poweramp pauses and closes because I watched a 3 sec video, it's annoying as hell.

Im happy to alpha test or do whatever I can.

EDIT:

Can confirm it pauses and resumes fine if my notification sound goes off. When pausing it manually and just letting it sit on thr notification area, it remains there. So only youtube and other music players affect PA. I guess this is the Permanent Focus Change? So now that may help you since when the Permanent Focus Change is triggered, the notifcation bar disappears.

Yes I have. If I disable the focus change settings the music continues to play over videos, other music, etc. But that's not how I want it to work. Just want it to pause and remain in my notifications till the video is over so I can easily press play again.

• 3 years later...

I have a Huawei P9 lite 2017, and was having the same issue with this app. If I pause the player (over BT headphones) then I can only resume it in the next few seconds, after that it will not respond anymore. 

The solution for me was to activate the option "Keep notification" under the "Notification keeping" in the Poweramp settings. After that the player successfully resumes playback. 

Hopefully this will be of use to someone :)

4 hours ago, Srdjan said:

The solution for me was to activate the option "Keep notification" under the "Notification keeping" in the Poweramp settings. After that the player successfully resumes playback. 

True, but that only applies to v3 of the app. That option was not available in v2 (which is the subject of this forum).

Andre

Archived