Similar Album Names Merging

So I've been having a problem with Poweramp. I have two albums with the same name by different artists. The albums keep merging together on Poweramp, but show up as separate on the SD card. How can I fix this? I've tried adding a 1 and a 2 at the end of each album name, but they still merge.

This is a known issue, and it comes up quite regularly in the Feature Requests area.

For now, if you change the album title (in the MP3 embedded tags, not just the filenames) then Poweramp will deal with them as separate entities. The most common occurrence of this is when album title tags just say "Greatest Hits" for example, rather than "Madonna's Greatest Hits", "ABBA's Greatest Hits", etc.

Or you could do what I do and use Folders mode, where you control where everything appears using your own folder tree and filename structure.

Andre

This is a known issue, and it comes up quite regularly in the Feature Requests area.

For now, if you change the album title (in the MP3 embedded tags, not just the filenames) then Poweramp will deal with them as separate entities. The most common occurrence of this is when album title tags just say "Greatest Hits" for example, rather than "Madonna's Greatest Hits", "ABBA's Greatest Hits", etc.

Or you could do what I do and use Folders mode, where you control where everything appears using your own folder tree and filename structure.

Andre

I hate to sound like a noob, but how can I access the MP3 embedded tags. When I bring up the options pop up menu and select Info/Tags I'm unable to make changes due to restrictions.

If you need to edit a lot of tags (a whole album's worth for example) you'd be better to do it in an external batch editor on your computer rather than on your phone. I use one called TagScanner ( free from http://www.xdlab.ru/ ) but there are tons available.

The editing restriction on your phone is due to a limitation introduced in Android by Google a couple of years ago. You may be able to get around it by using the "Grant Access" option in Poweramp though, but it's not a 100% guaranteed solution. Try to Delete a music file in Poweramp (which will fail) and if you are prompted for Get Support / Grant Access, select that option and then choose the folder where you keep your music. If it works, you will then be able to edit tags for any files in that folder in the future.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

The editing restriction on your phone is due to a limitation introduced in Android by Google a couple of years ago. You may be able to get around it by using the "Grant Access" option in Poweramp though, but it's not a 100% guaranteed solution. Try to Delete a music file in Poweramp (which will fail) and if you are prompted for Get Support / Grant Access, select that option and then choose the folder where you keep your music. If it works, you will then be able to edit tags for any files in that folder in the future.

Andre

I'm running kitkat 4.4.2. I tried deleting a file in Poweamp and to my surpise, the file was actually deleted. However, edit tags does not work. Does labeling a SD card have any effect in 4.4.2?

Archived