Dynamic Queue

The queue doesn't seem to be behaving correctly:

- when I click a song in the queue, it doesn't play

- when i go into the queue and click 'shuffle all' it seems to randomly input different songs. while listening to one I clicked the song info, to go into the queue, and it said it was playing a song in the queue, but it was a different song entirely. The seek bar in the queue even worked though it was running under a different song than was playing.

- when i select something to play, in most players, it automatically clears the queue, and adds what i selected as the current playing list. then you go into the library, and can select music to add to the queue. in Poweramp, when i play something it seems to play that and leave the queue entirely. Maybe this is the way it is supposed to behave, but I think most people would agree that it isn't a queue, more of a permanent playlist.

Thanks for your work on Poweramp, I don't mean to be negative, I really like it, the new update just seems to have some bugs to be worked out. Someone else already asked this - but is there a way to revert back to before the update?

Thanks

Thanks for the report/details.

- sorry, can't reproduce with the default settings. Do you have "enqueue and stay in the list" option enabled? Queue items can be enqueued again.

- shuffle all will shuffle the queue first, then it will continue with shuffling all other songs, I can't reproduce issue with difference in main screen and list, but I'll keep eye on it

- currently queue takes priority until all songs from queue are played or queue is cleared. after all songs played, enqueueing new song will clear old entries from queue as well. if you play something out of queue with active queue, PowerAMP will play that song, then advance back to queue.

I'm open for suggestions and tweaks (or new options). The bugs can be fixed only when they are reproducable.

I agree with the OP regarding the behavior of the queue. I've been able to make it work (after the initial force close problems were fixed), but the way the queue works is not intuitive, and doesn't match "normal" behavior for current play queues as implemented by other players.

This is how I think it needs to work:

* Play/Play All should clear the current queue, and add the current album/folder/whatever it is you selected to the queue.

* Enqueue should add whatever it is you have selected to the end of the queue.

* When the queue is finished playing, stop playing. Possibly, if Repeat All has been set, play the same queue over again.

I was very confused at first, because when I tried to do the above (play folder), as soon as I enqueued something, it would take over and start playing as next track. Now I have figured out, for the most part, how it works, so I enqueue everything, then select the queue, and start playing at the first track in the queue. However, after the queue is finished, it still starts playing "other stuff" (I assume, whatever folder I had looked at, or whatever it consider is the "next" folder), even though I have auto-advance turned OFF.

Thanks for your response. I tried to reproduce the error, it seems to only exhibit the funny behavior when I have added a play list to the queue. As long as I add albums or artists everything seems to work fine. I have tried it with click and return to player, click and enqueue and all of the various options. It seems to be queuing up a play list that does it.

Some of the other issues I had were just a matter of not understanding how the player behaves.

The previous poster did a good job of explaining how I would expect the queue feature to behave.

Thanks for your work - you really have done an outstanding job!

Thanks for your detailed writings.

PowerAMP queue is additional source (selection/list) of songs for PowerAMP, it has the same "rights" as other lists (folders/all songs/albums/artists/genres/playlists). PowerAMP doesn't need any virtual "now playing"/current playlist to be able to play songs - it play the selected list directly. This a bit differs from some other android players, but is similar to cubed (3) approach to queue.

While queue has something not yet played (not grayed), the next song will be taken from queue (the main screen/widgets will display the appropriate list icon ">>" when queue is played). You don't need to go to queue and press anything to start it, just move to next song with >> and queued songs will start. After queue is finished, PowerAMP returns back to list it was before queue was started.

That's generally all about the queue.

PS thanks for the finding with playlists+queue=this will be fixed in the next "maintaince" update on market and a bit earlier provided as download on this site.

While queue has something not yet played (not grayed), the next song will be taken from queue (the main screen/widgets will display the appropriate list icon ">>" when queue is played). You don't need to go to queue and press anything to start it, just move to next song with >> and queued songs will start. After queue is finished, Poweramp returns back to list it was before queue was started.

That's how you chose to implement it, sure, it's just not how many of us would want it to work. I don't listen to *songs*, I listen to ALBUMS, so I would like to enqueue another album and have it ready for when the current album has finished playing. The way it is now, if I have chosen to play an album directly (outside the queue), then deciding to queue up a few more albums, the queue takes over at the next track, which is not what I want.

But, I can work within the system you have, it's just a bit extra effort. I have to decide to enqueue everything, manually clearing the queue first and then starting the play when the queue is ready. It's better than not having a queue at all :-)

• 2 months later...

Archived