Poweramp using a non-mobile user agent string when downloading album art?

Poweramp version: 2.0.9-build-539-arm-play

Device model: Nexus 5

Android version: 4.4.2

I found that when using Poweramp, the album art downloaded would not return images at all both manually or automatically. My mobile network then refuses to work, yielding this message from my provider Three UK:

Are you using your phone as a modem or personal hotspot?

Reference SIM002

Using your phone as a modem and connecting it to other devices through WiFi or USB to get onto the internet (also called 'tethering'), is not what the plan you're on was designed for. If you would like to speak to someone about tethering options available to you, please call 333 free from your Three phone.

In the meantime if you want to get your phone back to browsing the internet you'll need to turn it off, allow it to reset itself for a few moments, and then turn it on again.

If you're looking for a Mobile Broadband connection, you'll get a better, cheaper and faster experience on one of our Mobile Broadband tariffs or devices. Just go to your nearest 3Store.

I know the problem is definitely Poweramp as it only occurs when downloading album art and makes the whole album art downloader useless as it disables my mobile network until a restart. Upon further research I found that this is usually because some apps use a desktop user agent string when making http requests. Is this the case with Poweramp or is there something else going on?

I have this exact same issue on Three UK when using Poweramp which has stopped me from buying the Pro version and I am using another player.

Please investigate this issue and I would happily buy Poweramp Pro... In fact seeing as it's on special and I have faith in you guys.. I have just bought it anyway.

Please try the build-541 and new Settings/Album Art/Mobile User-agent option. Please note that this option is effective only when mobile internet is used (not for wifi), and that results can be different vs wifi searches.

Thanks!

Just installed the new build as described above, went to options and ticked to use mobile agent... so far so good. I can browse album art by ling pressing on the currently playing track and still access the internet afterwards. Will test more and report back.

Thanks for this, and for such a fantastic response time on adding a fix!

Archived