Poweramp Music Folders Selection

When selecting folders to be used for Folders/Library (Folders Selection) a parent folder can not be selected without all subfolders also being selected. For example, if the directory structure is 

/Music

/Other Music

/Playlists

then /Music and /Playlists can not be selected without also selecting /Other Music (don't want this folder selected). Attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

-- 

Poweramp 2.0.9 Build 539

Samsung Galaxy S3

Android 4.3

Not on my phone Andre.

Continuing with my above example, if I select /Music (parent directory) then both /Other Music and /Playlists (subdirectories) are selected. If I then deselect a subdirectory the corresponding parent directory is also deselected.

This issue has been present since I first installed Poweramp on my Samsung Galaxy S3 over a year ago (Android 4.1.2). Please let me know if you want additional information to better isolate this issue. Perhaps an uninstall/install is called for?

And that's the issue I'm trying to address Andre: The (music) files in the parent directory should be able to be selected (scanned) without needing the selection of all subdirectories.

I wrote this as a bug based on my experience with another music player I tried out a while back. My impression on your reply is this Poweramp behavior is by design, hence the issue should have been submitted as a Feature Request instead of a Bug Report.

Alternatively, I could modify my preferred directory structure to accommodate Poweramp's behavior. At this juncture I don't want to make that change.

Thanks for the help Andre! 

Still not sure I'm quite getting your problem...

Selecting or deselecting a parent folder will select/deselect all its child folders too by default. However if you only want some of the child folders to be used, just deselect the ones that you don't want. Or only select the ones you do want, whichever is the quicker option for you. I seem to be able to select anything I want, down to a single folder level.

Andre

Yes the parent directory is deselected when you deselect a child folder (as not all of its contents will be played) but the rest of the child folders can remain ticked if you wish, and should be scanned.

Andre

This is the behavior I don't like:  When one of the child folders is deselected the parent directory is also deselected.  I would like to be able to select a parent directory and all but one of child folders.

Ah! I see what you are saying now. This would be a particular problem if the parent folder happened to contain files as well as folders, as those files would not get included unless all of the folders at the same level were selected too (in my case that does not happen as I only have folders OR files within any given folder level, not both).

A temporary fix would be the same way I do it - create a 'Misc' folder for the orphan files, so that all of the files are within some sort of selectable folder.

Max, this would a bug for the list I think.

Andre

Yes. And as I previously mentioned I could change my directory structure to accommodate Poweramp's behavior, but I don't want to go down that road until it becomes a much larger issue for me.

I can see where this request could be classified as a Feature Request instead of a Bug Report, the current behavior may have been intentionally chosen. Max may decide to change how this request should be classified, I really don't care so long as it gets placed somewhere on the to-do list.  :)

Thanks again for your help Andre.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I'm on a Huawei Glory with Android 4.0 and the latest full version of Poweramp and I'm having the exact same problem as Byron. Can you guys please fix this in the next update? Poweramp is the best MP3 player for Android, and I'd hate to have to look for an alternative.

EDIT: Actually nevermind, on the advice of my friend I tried Winamp for Android. Though it is very basic, it plays my music without any folder issues at all. I think I'll be sticking with this, especailly after Google ruined Google Play last night. Thanks anyway guys! ^_^

• 11 months later...

It's been a year now since I originally submitted this bug report.  Since that time I have been checking music folder selection logic with each new release.  I was hopeful when I read the changelog entry for build-571 (late November):  "565: Music Folders selection dialog revamp/optimization for large storage", but unfortunately my issue wasn't addressed.

I hope some attention can be given to this matter in the not-to-distant future.

Archived