Browse by Composer

Thanks for adding support for composer tagging on FLAC files. I would like to be able to browse through classical music files by composer then choose e.g. a symphony or opera to play.  I am using WAV - FLAC converted files ripped from CDs on a non-mobile android device that plays through a Hi-Fi system using a TV as the GUI for Poweramp.

Either being able to search/filter by composer or being able to  browse a library group based on composer (rather than album, artist etc) would help enormously.

Playing a symphony or opera also raises the issue of how to group the files that comprise the work. Once the initial search or filter has been performed on composer, providing the flltered files are displayed and can be played in flename order, this would work most of the time because most of the info required to "group" the work is present in the file name. Unfortunately the composer is not always present in the file name.

Itunes solves this on its desktop PC version by allowing manual entry of a metatag called "group". I use the name of the work e.g." Beethoven 5th Symphony"  to pull together the four files (four movements). This approach might also help with compilation albums in any genre.The filter for classical music  is therefore 1) by composer the n2) by group and finally  files are queued for playing in track name order.

My only other solution is to have different playlists for each composer but this is not really manageable without having a library group based on composer.

Hope you can help.

Archived