No effects applied with the Pixel 9 pro

Just got the pixel 9 pro, (had no issues with the 7 or 8).  Poweramp equalizer will recognize Spotify, but no effects are applied. Uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, set everything to default, and tried with headphones and Android Auto. No effects. Disabled/enabled DVC. Nothing.

Any tips?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update, the app is detecting input. I can get the visualizer to work.  Also, the volume is really low at the start of every song for 1 second before it normalizes, I remember this happening a long time ago with this app so the app is interacting with Spotify. I verified it has full permission and it has every permission I can allow it to do.

Wavelete works as well as some other random Bluetooth equalizer I tried. So not sure what's going on.

I have the exact same problem since I have a Pixel 9 Pro XL. I sent a "feedback" to Google about this today and I chatted with technical support but no solution so far. I wonder if this problem could have already been fixed in the Android 15 QR1 beta version...

Seems the common thread here is Pixel 9, a device released just last week. I would hazard a guess that in typical Google fashion an upcoming firmware update will correct many user issues.

Same here... got my Pixel 9 Pro XL last night and Poweramp EQ LOOKS like it is working, but it isn't... no matter what, the sound is not impacted.  Hoping for a quick fix! :)

I temporarily uninstalled Poweramp Equalizer and installed XEQ (another equalizer app) to test if it had the same problem on my Pixel 9 Pro XL. When I started it, it displayed an error message and refused to work. This morning, by chance, my cell phone had this equalizer already open and connected to the phone speaker without displaying the slightest problem. I discovered if I launch the app before connecting my headphones via bluetooth, the app could continue to work well once the bluetooth headphones were connected and paired in the XEQ equalizer. In this order, everything works well and the equalizer is responsive. So I tried a similar approach again with Poweramp Equalizer (uninstalling the other one before of course) but unfortunately, it didn't work. There must be a way to make it work.

On 8/28/2024 at 3:06 PM, evildust said:

I temporarily uninstalled Poweramp Equalizer and installed XEQ (another equalizer app) to test if it had the same problem on my Pixel 9 Pro XL. When I started it, it displayed an error message and refused to work. This morning, by chance, my cell phone had this equalizer already open and connected to the phone speaker without displaying the slightest problem. I discovered if I launch the app before connecting my headphones via bluetooth, the app could continue to work well once the bluetooth headphones were connected and paired in the XEQ equalizer. In this order, everything works well and the equalizer is responsive. So I tried a similar approach again with Poweramp Equalizer (uninstalling the other one before of course) but unfortunately, it didn't work. There must be a way to make it work.

Hey, So XEQ works beautifully for me.  Make sure you have audio-compatible mode enabled in the settings.  

I believe the issue with the P9 is it is making every song a new session, and the multi-session is causing issues. Poweramp eq has a "fix" for multisession, but it does not work or is out dated. XEQ works wonderfully for people looking for an alternative since the developer here doesn't seem to care.  I recommend trying XEQ, it will work with Android Auto as well as headphones. 

@BBQPauly obviously it's a device + firmware issue and it may be fixed when the device is in our hands. Chances are that Google will fix it prior that or/and that we'll get a newer, fixed firmware and we'll not be able to reproduce problem. I would also suggest temporarily disabling Advanced Player Tracking (if it's enabled) and trying YouTube Music or Spotify (the apps which are known to work with Equalizer without any hacks). If it doesn't work there - crearly a firmware issue.

15 hours ago, BBQPauly said:

Hey, So XEQ works beautifully for me.  Make sure you have audio-compatible mode enabled in the settings. 

XEQ is nice but I recommend SpotiQ Ten. 

Or try °Sound° Beautifier Equalizer. 

Both of them ( PAE + SpotiQ Ten or PAE + °Sound° BE ) are also running smoothly together with Poweramp Equalizer. 

This combination is amazing. 

Just to update, the new Pixel firmware update did not resolve the issue. I tried without the advance/hack stuff and still no dice with YouTube Music. 

At the moment, the only one that works for me is Wavelet. But I much prefer Poweramp EQ.

I don't feel comfortable presuming is a device issue, but I guess we'll see how things unfold.

Just now, DrSuSE said:

Just to update, the new Pixel firmware update did not resolve the issue. I tried without the advance/hack stuff and still no dice with YouTube Music. 

At the moment, the only one that works for me is Wavelet. But I much prefer Poweramp EQ.

I don't feel comfortable presuming is a device issue, but I guess we'll see how things unfold.

On what firmware are you?

On 9/2/2024 at 7:22 AM, maxmp said:

@BBQPauly obviously it's a device + firmware issue and it may be fixed when the device is in our hands. Chances are that Google will fix it prior that or/and that we'll get a newer, fixed firmware and we'll not be able to reproduce problem. I would also suggest temporarily disabling Advanced Player Tracking (if it's enabled) and trying YouTube Music or Spotify (the apps which are known to work with Equalizer without any hacks). If it doesn't work there - crearly a firmware issue.

Then why do other EQ aps work? How many reports do you need to tell you that your app ain't working right?

I am using Spotify and you tube, your app doesn't work. Normally I wouldn't care but I invested money in your app. What are you going to do about it?

Edited by BBQPauly

After almost 2 weeks, I got an email reply from support and it was just this:

Hello from Poweramp support team!
Please uninstall Poweramp Equalizer, restart your device and update Poweramp Equalizer (trial - which is the main app) 

Very happy to report that build 985 works for me (Pixel 9 Pro XL).  I do not use the compressor, so I cannot comment on that part.

I wanted to say that while I was a bit concerned about the support email reply I got (just to reinstall), I am very pleased with the quick turnaround on getting this update out.  Thank you.

3 minutes ago, DrSuSE said:

Very happy to report that build 985 works for me (Pixel 9 Pro XL).  I do not use the compressor, so I cannot comment on that part.

I wanted to say that while I was a bit concerned about the support email reply I got (just to reinstall), I am very pleased with the quick turnaround on getting this update out.  Thank you.

Were did you download build 985?