List/Sort by filename - Weird behaviour

Go to solution Solved by andrewilley,

Hello,
I'm trying to sort my files with filename.
I have them numbered as 1, 2, 3, ..... And so on till 1013.
However Poweramp is displaying starting with 1, 10, 100, 1000, 1001, 1002... etc... (See Screenshot 1 below)

PS : I also created a custom .m3u8 with the proper filenames and order, but when I tried to sort by filename in the playlist, the same thing happened. (screenshot 2)

How do I change the sorting options to show in proper numbered list starting from 1, 2, 3... ending in the last number 1013?

Thanks

Screenshot 1.jpg

Screenshot 2.jpg

• Solution
26 minutes ago, audiofile.flac said:

I have them numbered as 1, 2, 3, ..... And so on till 1013.
However Poweramp is displaying starting with 1, 10, 100, 1000, 1001, 1002... etc... (See Screenshot 1 below)

Poweramp's alphabetical sorting process uses plain ASCII text sorting, so the above is exactly how content should be sorted (individual digits are just another type of alphabetical character as far a sorting goes, they are not consecutively processed to generate larger numbers).

To force numerical processing of alpha-sorted text, you need to pad out the smaller numbers with enough leading zeros to cover all of your possibilities - so 0001, 0002, 0010, 0011, 0100, 0101, etc. Exactly the same principle as you'd use for prefixing track numbers as 01, 02, 03, 10, 11, 12, etc for filenames in album folders.

There is a existing Feature Request for 'smart' sorting options, which would include numeric interpretation of consecutive strings of digits, which you can vote for here (once your account has enough activity):

Andre

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

(once your account has enough activity)

How many comments do I have to make to gain the voting ability?

Update, Never mind : found it, 2 forum posts and 2 days old account

Edited by audiofile.flac
Found the information I was asking for

2 hours ago, audiofile.flac said:

Update, Never mind : found it, 2 forum posts and 2 days old account

It's just to try to prevent people from creating extra "sock puppet" accounts to generate fake voting interest in their pet requests.

Andre