Albumartist not shown in list?

FPC

It seems as artist-search does not include artists that starts with a single letter (example: A Flock Of Seaguls)?

Artists who's name starts with a single letter (ex. "A Flock Of Seaguls") are NOT shown in the artist search list?

If it is a bug, can it be fix'ed?

Regards

FPC

Screenshot_20240104_154159_Poweramp.jpg

Screenshot_20240104_154239_Poweramp.jpg

Hi Andre, thanks for responding.

1. Choose "Album Artists" from the Main Screen

2. Click "A" on the right side

3. "A Flock Of Seaguls" does not appear (and other artists with an A neither)

That's the problem....

Regards
FPC

Screenshot_20240104_165448_Poweramp.jpg

That's just the Album Artist list, you mentioned using Search in your first post.

Remember that both definite and indefinite articles (i.e. "The", "A", and "An") are ignored for sorting purposes. So "A Flock of Seagulls" would be found in the 'F' section for "Flock" - in the same way that "The Alan Parsons Project" and "The Afghan Whigs" are shown under 'A', rather than in 'T' for "The".

You can turn that feature off if you wish, by using PA Settings=>Library=>Lists=>'Don't Ignore Articles For Sort'.

Oh, and bonus points for being a BJH fan! There's not so many of us about; I saw them live many times in the eighties.

Andre

I have a similar problem.  I have several albums by Amy Grant.  She is tagged in each song file as both "Artist" and "Album Artist".   When I browse in Poweramp by "Artist", and "Amy Grant", her 1st Christmas album titled, "A Christmas Album", shows up in the list sorted based on the word "Christmas" as one would expect.  However, when I browse by "Album Artist" and "Amy Grant", this same album, ("A Christmas Album") does not show up at all.  It's not clear why this is the case, but it looks like a bug.

Wayne

@andrewilley I had the same thought and double checked before I posted to make sure that wasn't the problem.  So yeah, every Album Artist tag in every song in the album is set to "Amy Grant". I even double checked to make sure it wasn't misspelled.  It's not the end of the world, but it does looks like a bug.

I'm at a bit of a loss on this one. Perhaps try a Full Rescan (in Settings=>Library) in case something has changed since the files were first scanned and the later modification has not been updated into the database? Otherwise there must be something different in the embedded data between this one album and all her others. There isn't a separate entry for Amy Grant in the lists is there? For example sometimes I've found a slight punctuation or spelling issue can create two entries. 

I just did a check with a specific artist for whom I've got a large number of albums (38) and the exact same album titles appear when I drill down via the 'Artists' Library Category as I see when I drill down in the 'Album Artists' view. I made sure that the sorting order was set to 'By Title' for albums in the two List Options menus (as I sometimes use 'By Year') and the two lists of this artist's albums were both fully complete and correctly sorted - with any prefix articles ("A", "An", "The") correctly ignored in the ordering process.

In this case, the Artists list actually contained one extra song (573 songs) compared to the Album Artists view (572 songs) because this artist also had one song which was separately contained in a "Various Artists" collection album, which of course had a different Album Artist tag so it did not appear in their 'Album Artists' listing, while it did appear in their 'Artists' listing.

Andre

Thanks.  I found the issue.  User error as expected.  I had checked the Album Artist field on my computer where I had copied the files from, assuming they were identical to what was on my phone.  But apparently I had updated the Album Artist tags on my computer after I copied the files to my phone.  I just checked my phone and sure enough, the Album Artist field on that particular album was blank.

Apologies for taking up your time on a non-issue.  Lesson learned.  Always check the actual files.

Wayne