Using the search: Album Artist > Album, instead of Album Artist > Songs

lautmaler

Hi there,

when using the menu navigating to Artist or Album Artist and then tapping on one of them, takes me to a view with a link to "all songs" on top, and the albums listed below. I find that this should be the behaviour at all points. Tapping on an artist name, should take me to that view.

However, this is not true when using the search. With all activated, when you type a full name of an artist, you get at least three sections: "albums" with all the albums whose artist match the search, "artist" and "album artist" which artists whose name that match the search. Now, tapping on the artist in either section, takes you to the "all songs view" for that artist. It would be great if that would take me to the view with the "all songs" link on top, and the albums below. 

It is true that using the search as described and tapping on the album instead, would kind of circumvent what I am looking for, but I find that way not ideal.

I tried searching in case this behaviour is configurable with settings but I couldn't find it. If I am wrong it can be configured, I am all ears!

Thanks!

I do find the way search results are handled can be a bit inconsistent, due to the way the initial search occurs on multiple fields first, and only once the search is complete are those results refined into groups.

For example, if I search for the word "light", then I would expect the 'Albums' results section to show:

Into the Light
Chris de Burgh
Caught in the Light
Barclay James Harvest
The Electric Light Orchestra
Electric Light Orchestra

But I don't expect to also see:

Stormchaser
Light This City
Pure
The Lightning Seeds
Ain't No Sunshine
Lighthouse Family
Discovery
Electric Light Orchestra
Out of the Blue
Electric Light Orchestra

...... along with about 15 other ELO albums which do not have "light" in the album name, which should only be shown under the 'Artists' section.

And for the 'Songs' results, I only want to see song titles with the word "light" in them, not 300+ random songs that happen to be by ELO or which come from an album with "light" in the title.

Andre

I also suffer your case, Andre, but I always try to solve it by filtering the results. If I am looking for a song, I only search for songs, that along the setting to search track titles only activated.

In any case, my original point it is not so much about the search itself, although it is on the search where it annoys me. My point is that whenever you tap on an "album artist" (possibly on "artist" too) you should get to the list of albums, not to the list of songs. No matter if on the search, or on the queue or wherever, "album artist" should take me to "albums", not to "all songs".

At least, that is what make sense to me.

4 hours ago, lautmaler said:

I always try to solve it by filtering the results. If I am looking for a song, I only search for songs, that along the setting to search track titles only activated.

I just noticed I had an option disabled, Settings=>Library=>Search=>'Search Track Titles Only'. If I re-enable that option, the 'All Songs' section does indeed only show song titles which actually contain the search term. The 'Albums' section still shows a lot more results though, other than albums where the search term exists in the album name though.

But yes, drifting off topic a bit.

Andre