Artemisu01

I just noticed this problem to me that high and low shelf is just a high and low pass filter why is it like that and also why there's still music if i focus on specific hz like 40hz but there's still music on it? Can it be just like neutron player parametric EQ?

6 hours ago, Artemisu01 said:

I just noticed this problem to me that high and low shelf is just a high and low pass filter why is it like that and also why there's still music if i focus on specific hz like 40hz but there's still music on it? Can it be just like neutron player parametric EQ?

A shelf filter in a parametric EQ uses the selected frequency as the starting point to raise or lower all frequencies below (for low) or above (for high) those points. The Q will adjust the “Quality” factor which affects how smooth the transition area is at those selected points. There are other filter types that can be selected, including band pass and notch for example. The terminology is pretty consistent for most EQ software.

5 hours ago, MotleyG said:

A shelf filter in a parametric EQ uses the selected frequency as the starting point to raise or lower all frequencies below (for low) or above (for high) those points. The Q will adjust the “Quality” factor which affects how smooth the transition area is at those selected points. There are other filter types that can be selected, including band pass and notch for example. The terminology is pretty consistent for most EQ software

You mostly say thats how parametric EQ works my point is can it just like neutron player parametric EQ 

Like this is how parametric EQ of Poweramp high shelf 

image-13.thumb.png.8b4b8af41c0bf79c2af012000f01cd1f.png

instead of this real high shelf

image-28.thumb.png.0a2a8e982caee733c23e7a27b279eb04.png

Because thats how it supposed to be work like that instead of high/low shelf is just an high/low pass

19 minutes ago, Artemisu01 said:

You mostly say thats how parametric EQ works my point is can it just like neutron player parametric EQ 

Like this is how parametric EQ of Poweramp high shelf 

image-13.thumb.png.8b4b8af41c0bf79c2af012000f01cd1f.png

instead of this real high shelf

image-28.thumb.png.0a2a8e982caee733c23e7a27b279eb04.png

Because thats how it supposed to be work like that instead of high/low shelf is just an high/low pass

Also it supposed to cut the unwanted frequency's and not boost the one's you liked

What i mean of cut is cutting the unwanted frequency's in the music and focusing on the very specific hz of the music not playing to the background like the image 2 of the real high shelf 

Because the problem of Poweramp high/low shelf eq is not real high/low shelf its just an high/low pass 

Screenshot_20230716-173421.thumb.jpg.00d41e748cc9f84b2998f7cf1d64b3f2.jpg

I did try but still there's all frequency's playing 

If its real high/low shelf why there's other frequency playing in the background it supposed to block out all frequency in the music and focused on 20hz only of the track

Edited by Artemisu01

3 hours ago, Artemisu01 said:

Also it supposed to cut the unwanted frequency's and not boost the one's you liked

What i mean of cut is cutting the unwanted frequency's in the music and focusing on the very specific hz of the music not playing to the background like the image 2 of the real high shelf 

A shelf filter does not cut anything outside of the filter range, it merely boosts or cuts the affected range. It is not the same as a pass and filter, which is what you seem to be describing.

This site has a pretty comprehensive description of the various options for a parametric EQ. This particular section describes the filters well.  https://www.soundguys.com/how-to-equalize-fine-tune-your-listening-experience-16410/#:~:text=filter type refers to the shape of the adjustment. most parametric eq programs will offer%3A

Edited by MotleyG
Added link