Menu Access

jgbrown54

It's not easy but you had better get used to it because it's going away for everyone in Android 3 in favor of the Action Bar and Action Overflow Button.

See http://android-devel...enu-button.html

That means that every app that currently relys on the Menu button will have to be updated if they want to stay compatible. Once they update, then those of us that have older versions of Android with a Menu button will have a button that doesn't do much. Or maybe we'll all have to buy new phones and tablets.

The device I have is running Android 2.3.4 and does not have a Menu button. I wonder if they jumped ahead and removed it in 2.3.4 instead of waiting for Android 3 to come out? Does anyone out there have Android 2.3.4 that does have a Menu button? The top line of my screen only has a Status bar that shows the time and the status of things like Blue Tooth, WiFi, and Network. No Menu button or Action Overflow button. Clicking anywhere on the bar only displays the date for a short period.

I was just reading the Android 2.3.4 User Manual. If you look at the screen print pictures throughout the manual, you will notice that the Menu button icon is indeed missing from the top Status/Notifiation bar. It does talk about using the Menu button so it must be referring to devices with a dedicated button. It also says that it can be accessed from the Home screen. Unfortunately, the manufacturer of my device put in their own Home screen and it does not have a Menu button on it. That wouldn't help me get to the Options within an Application anyway.

How stupid is that. The WHOLE reason I decided to down go the Android route rather than iPhone was the proper tactile buttons, physical keyboard options, etc. I ideally want to keep Home, Back and Menu (not bothered about Search) away from the capacitive screen completely if possible, as I keep hitting the bottom on the screen rather than the buttons. Such functions certainly don't belong near the top of the screen cluttered up around information icons.

Andre

On my Set Top media player, I use a Bluetooth keyboard with a built-in touch pad. I found out, quite by accident, that the center mouse button, taping the touchpad with 2 fingers, activates the Action Bar allowing me access to the settings.

Archived