How do I 'refresh' songs database after a tag update?

neonatus
Go to solution Solved by andrewilley,

I noticed that Poweramp tag editor doesn't really 'write' right into the song's file, rather it just put into Poweramp database itself, thus the edited tag doesn't appear in other music player or after being transferred to someone else or other devices. This is a very old behavior, so I already accept it as it is.

Because of that, I use a 3rd party tag editor, which is AutomaTag (if anyone has better app for tag editor, do let me know, for now AutomaTag has done a good job).

I used AutomaTag to update several songs, including their album arts, but these changes don't appear in Poweramp: not the updated album art, not the renamed artist and album name.

if I go to the edited song and open its album art for search, there's the 'Embedded Album Art' shown in the list, but it doesn't get used in the song.

How do I "refresh" Poweramp metadata for these changes to show?

I think a couple of version ago, I can go to Recently Added > three dots > Rescan and Poweramp will show the changes, albeit the edited songs now appear in 'Recently Added' list, but that's not a biggie.

now the Recently Added > Rescan doesn't work.

even after stopping Poweramp and completely restart the app it still doesn't work.

any tips?

should I try clearing cache?

My Device: Samsung A52, Android 13, OneUI 5

Edited by neonatus
added more info

• Solution
45 minutes ago, neonatus said:

I noticed that Poweramp tag editor doesn't really 'write' right into the song's file

Yes it does. Go into the Info/Tags screen for any given song in Poweramp to see the current tag details. Tap 'Edit Tags' and make some content changes, then tap 'Save'. The changes will be written directly into the audio file on your device's storage - as long as write permission to that location has been granted anyway. That file can then be imported into any other audio app and the changes should be visible there too.

Sometimes when external apps modify files, the Android file system does not correctly indicate to PA that the location has been modified, which may mean the quick Rescan might not notice the file has changed. If this happens, use Settings=>Library=>Full Rescan to force every file to be re-scanned into the database, and all tags re-read. This is a bit more time-consuming than a quick scan as it involves opening and checking every single file in your music collection. 

Andre

16 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Yes it does. Go into the Info/Tags screen for any given song in Poweramp to see the current tag details. Tap 'Edit Tags' and make some content changes, then tap 'Save'. The changes will be written directly into the audio file on your device's storage - as long as write permission to that location has been granted anyway. That file can then be imported into any other audio app and the changes should be visible there too.

Wait, really? I have to test this again extensively. I could've sworn I remember editing a tag in Poweramp and the changes don't apply in other music app that I tried.

The full rescan method works though, thank you. I think how long it takes for a full rescan depends on how many songs you have.

Yes really. :) The whole purpose of the Edit Tags feature is to edit the tags within the current song file. There could be potential issues if the file was badly created/encoded in the first place, or if the location hasn't been grated full write access, but otherwise it's pretty straight-forward.

Yes, how long a Full Rescan takes is very dependent on the amount of files you have, and the speed of storage access. The simple quick rescan is the same thing that occurs by default in the background each time you start the app, and it only looks at new or deleted content, plus anything that it believes has been modified. But the Full Rescan crawls through all of your Music Folders locations in phase one, and then in phase two it opens and read the tags from every file it found and rebuilds the whole music database.   

Andre