Playlists for Android car stereo head unit

StaticFaction

I recently changed my factory car stereo for an Android head unit. I am brand new to Poweramp BTW. I installed Poweramp and have been playing around with it. My iPod worked with my old stereo but not with the one so I am looking to and my music library and build new playlists. The new stereo has a USB drive so I put some songs on it and had Poweramp scan for them. It worked fine. All songs, artwork, etc were perfect. Now, I want to create playlists and looking for the best way. Ideally, I'd like use at least 10,000 songs but possibly thousands more if it's not a too time-consuming process. Does anyone know the best way to go about this? I'm not using my phone, I can't add additional memory to hold all of the music. Is there a way to create playlists on a PC and move them over? I'm thinking possibly create some M3U files (MediaMonkey/WMP/?) and adding the tracks to a flash drive, then insert flash drive to the radio and scan. Or, I have the playlists already made in iTunes, is there a way to easily copy them over?  I searched and couldn't find any help. If this has already been asked and answered, can you point me to the post?       

Yes, Poweramp can read M3U playlists created on other devices.

Obviously the root path details will no longer match with your PC (for example "C:\Users\yourname\Music\..." would never be resolved on an Android device) so Poweramp uses just the final part of the path to try to marry the songs referenced in the playlist file with the local entries in its music database.

So as long as the audio filename is exactly the same as on your PC, and it's contained within the same named subfolder PA should be happy. Just copy an M3U playlist file from your PC to somewhere in the music folders on your Android device and let PA scan it.

iTunes playlists might be a little harder to transfer as first you'd need to export them as M3U files, and then make sure the folder structure on your Android device is the same layout as on the PC - at least as far as the final folder names go anyway. And iTunes does tend to invent its own hierarchies.

M3U playlists are plain text by the way, so you can load them into a text editor to check they look correct.

This thread discusses the same thing you are trying to do. A few red herrings in there (TL;DR - the user's syncing software was creating extra nested album folder names which weren't quoted in the M3U file paths) but the general principle and info on directory structures and file formats is still useful. 

See also the Playlists section in this FAQ:

Andre