External Cover Art for Each Individual Song

I understand that Poweramp supports external cover art, but it doesn't seem to allow using individual cover art for individual songs.

For example, a song should be able to use an external cover art of the same file name (e.g. ABC.mp3 can use ABC.jpg in the same folder as its cover art, similar to how LRC lyrics (.lrc) is typically used, or how .mkv and .mka files are typically connected)

Some other apps like foobar2000 and FiiO Music already support this feature.

Please consider adding this feature, it's really useful for those who have songs from different albums in the same folder.

The best solution is to properly embed the artwork into the actual audio file, that way it is always linked to the file. In-folder images (such as folder.jpg) can be used for whole albums, but not for individual files.

However you can place song-specific image files directly into the Android/data cache folder if you want, using the format "%artist% - %title%.jpg". For the location and more details, please see 

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

The best solution is to properly embed the artwork into the actual audio file, that way it is always linked to the file. In-folder images (such as folder.jpg) can be used for whole albums, but not for individual files.

However you can place song-specific image files directly into the Android/data cache folder if you want, using the format "%artist% - %title%.jpg". For the location and more details, please see 

Andre

Thanks for letting me know about the cache folder way.

I keep the artwork as seperate files so that it can be managed/edited with ease when I need to. I guess I can manually embed the artwork for now then.

The trouble with sidecar files (separate JPEGs for artwork, LRC lyric files, or anything else) is that they are still separate files and can get mislaid during copying etc, or not seen at all by a lot of apps. If you embed any song-specific content inside the physical audio file (such as using the LYRICS / USLT tag, or as Front Cover artwork) then it becomes permanently linked to that music file whatever you do with it later, and whatever program or app opens it. You can always change it again later in a tag editor if you find more suitable artwork, but usually it would be a once-and-done action.

There are lots of ways to automate the process, but the simplest would be to use a batch Action in MP3Tag on a computer (or other similar programs). All it would take would be to run an action something like the following on your whole music collection: 

image.png

Always test it on a subset of files first of course. If your filenames are not the same as the Song Titles, you may need to adjust that format matching string to use filename details instead of the Title tag.

Andre