Poweramp new user questions

jster804

I'm a few days into my Poweramp App trial and I've got a few questions.

I've got over 10K files loaded on my phone so far and the title displayed for the songs lists the file name and not the track title.  I verified that this wasn't selected in the settings.  I'm stumped on this.

On albums that I have front and back album art loaded the app defaults to the back cover artwork.  How do I display the front cover art by default?

Is there a setting I can select that uses the least amount of battery?

Thanks,

jster804

If you are seeing just filenames with no artist/album/genre/etc information, then Poweramp was unable to scan tags from your files and so used the filename as a backup. Assuming the tags are actually correct (what file format?) then you could try doing a Settings > Library > FULL Rescan. If that doesn't work, revoke storage permissions and re-grant them in Settings > Library > Music Folders. If Android 11, make sure that Settings > Misc > File Access Legacy Mode is turned OFF.

PA only supports displaying one cover image for any given audio file. If more than one image is present in a file, usually the final one it encounters during the scanning process will be used. Each new image will be read in turn from the file, and any subsequent ones will overwriting anything that was already in place for that song. 

Turning off things like high-res output, the EQ system, and cover image displays (oh, and auto-scan for new files) could help reduce battery usage if you feel it is excessive, but do you really want to do that? 

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

If you are seeing just filenames with no artist/album/genre/etc information, then Poweramp was unable to scan tags from your files and so used the filename as a backup. Assuming the tags are actually correct (what file format?) then you could try doing a Settings > Library > FULL Rescan. If that doesn't work, revoke storage permissions and re-grant them in Settings > Library > Music Folders. If Android 11, make sure that Settings > Misc > File Access Legacy Mode is turned OFF.

PA only supports displaying one cover image for any given audio file. If more than one image is present in a file, usually the final one it encounters during the scanning process will be used. Each new image will be read in turn from the file, and any subsequent ones will overwriting anything that was already in place for that song. 

Turning off things like high-res output, the EQ system, and cover image displays (oh, and auto-scan for new files) could help reduce battery usage if you feel it is excessive, but do you really want to do that? 

Andre

I have a large collection that I've been working on for a really long time so the files I have were created by itunes, foobar2000, fre:ac and who knows what else.  The format of the files I put on my phone are .mp3 and .m4a.  My main desktop player/ editor is Foobar2000.  Up until trying the PowerampApp I've been using Foobar2000 and VLC on my phone.  My phone is running Android 11.  I've actually been quite satisfied with the performance of the Foobar2000 mobile app but it doesn't provide a sleep timer or the Chromecast option so that's why I also use VLC.  The features on the PowerampApp are overall better than both the other apps, I was hoping to just have one app to use.

I was seeing artist names and album names fine.  It was the song titles that were showing up as the file name.  The Legacy Mode was already turned off.  The full rescan didn't work but after I revoked storage permissions AND rescanned a few times that seems to have done the trick. THANK YOU!

I guess I'll have to deal with the back cover art showing up because I have a whole lot of files that apparently that was the last artwork I added and I'm not about to go back in and change those.

Regarding the battery usage, I was just looking for ways to help with that.  Some apps have features turned on that aren't really needed that add to the battery usage.  I do use the EQ on this, that's one of the features I really like.  It's the best EQ I've run across in an  app.

6 hours ago, jster804 said:

I was seeing artist names and album names fine.  It was the song titles that were showing up as the file name.

Odd. The normal scanning process is first the whole selected directory structure is crawled to find all the music files, which would result in just filenames being present in the database, and then a second phase goes through each individual file checking its embedded tag data. So if that second phase failed, I would expect to see filenames for titles but no other tag info shown (so no artist, album, etc). Unless you have the Settings > Library > List > Filename as Title mode enabled anyway, but you said you'd already checked for that.

I tend to agree with you about cover art choices. Embedded artwork is loaded from files at display time (so it happens whenever you open a new folder or album for example) as caching perhaps tens of thousands of images which are already saved inside the files would be excessive. However rather than reading sequentially through the file and loading more possible images, I think it would make sense to stop after the first one has been found and loaded. Or better still, for MP3/ID3 tags, just check for the $03 flag in the APIC frame (indicating Front Cover) and prioritise using that over, for example, $04 (Back Cover). The Vorbis METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE frame has the same set of codes available for other file formats.

PA is pretty well optimised for battery usage, but obviously the more processing tasks it has to do, the more power it will consume. I've never felt the need to optimise especially though.

Andre