Volume levels

UK_SPAWN

OK so when I output a digital signal from my computer to my DAC i always use 100% volume and then use the amps volume control so as not to alter the digital signal.

If im using power amp to output to a iFi HipDac for example - how do i set the volume to be controled by the iFi unit and so the phone is not altering the digital signal (either boosting or lowering it)

Im just hearing odd distortions in some songs and not others but i know that none of my songs reach 0dBFS because i manually recorded them all and set the levels myself. Foobar2000 Peak meter also confirms I am never hitting 0dBFS.

I dont know if its the song mastering thats bad (i hear it on my desktop dac too but at a much higher level) - i dont hear it on my HiFi but then again the volume can never get to the levels that you hear from IEMs.
or is it the Phone / Dac / Software etc etc.

I dont know if my device supports DVC (p20 pro) - When i enable DVC the volume is less and according to others the volume should be more (it even warns you "caution: could be very loud") - does that mean DVC isnt supported?
Shall I use replay gain + prevent clipping even though none of my tracks contain any RG data/meta and reduce the gain there? - I think not as i know the levels of my songs contain no clipping!
I use no EQ or Tone boosts or Pre-amp or limiter.
Should i use the NoDVC negative gain if im not using any EQ/Tone/preamp etc?

The phones volume appears to go much higher than my IEMs are capable of going.
My IEMs are relativly low 12 OHM 30Mw max.
I dont know what the output capability of my phone is etc.

There are a lot of settings to play with, just looking for some help.

Archived