Listing order

Henry Cluney

You can't adjust the viewing order of a Playlist (as they are saved in a fixed sequence) but you can Re-Sort them into a new permanently saved order. While viewing a playlist, tap on the three-dots menu icon and choose "Re-sort". There are 14 choices, plus a Reverse option.

You can also manually re-order any playlist track-by-track if you wish - just long-press on any song in a playlist and move it up or down using the slider gadget on the right.

Andre

On 7/17/2020 at 1:25 AM, andrewilley said:

You can't adjust the viewing order of a Playlist (as they are saved in a fixed sequence) but you can Re-Sort them into a new permanently saved order. While viewing a playlist, tap on the three-dots menu icon and choose "Re-sort". There are 14 choices, plus a Reverse option.

You can also manually re-order any playlist track-by-track if you wish - just long-press on any song in a playlist and move it up or down using the slider gadget on the right.

Andre

Hellllpppppp!I maybe described my problem wrongly,sorry.Within a specific folder I have renumbered a list of songs but I can’t seem to have them play in that order.eg...it will go 1-2-3-7-4.How can I make the songs play in the order I numbered them?

Thanks!

Ah, so you are not talking about Playlists (which has a specific meaning of a pre-defined list of songs that can be from anywhere in your music collection which you want played in a particular order) but more general playing of music in Folders mode?

To set the viewing and playback order for songs in Folders (or any other regular Category) go into that library view and drill-down to the songs level. Then tap the three-dots menu icon at the top-right and choose List Options. Select "By filename" as your sort order, then if you have prefixed your filenames with specific numbers (such as disc or track numbers) you will see them sorted in that way.

Note: That process uses a simple digit-by-digit alphanumeric sort, without any pattern recognition. So if you have multi-digit numbers you will need to use leading zeros to pad out any shorter numbers - e.g. 001, 002, 010. 011, 100, 101 instead of 1, 2, 10, 11, 100, 101. If you don't, a string like "10 Songname" would get sorted before "2 Othername ",  because the first character 1 comes before 2. 

Andre

On 7/22/2020 at 9:33 AM, andrewilley said:

Ah, so you are not talking about Playlists (which has a specific meaning of a pre-defined list of songs that can be from anywhere in your music collection which you want played in a particular order) but more general playing of music in Folders mode?

To set the viewing and playback order for songs in Folders (or any other regular Category) go into that library view and drill-down to the songs level. Then tap the three-dots menu icon at the top-right and choose List Options. Select "By filename" as your sort order, then if you have prefixed your filenames with specific numbers (such as disc or track numbers) you will see them sorted in that way.

Note: That process uses a simple digit-by-digit alphanumeric sort, without any pattern recognition. So if you have multi-digit numbers you will need to use leading zeros to pad out any shorter numbers - e.g. 001, 002, 010. 011, 100, 101 instead of 1, 2, 10, 11, 100, 101. If you don't, a string like "10 Songname" would get sorted before "2 Othername ",  because the first character 1 comes before 2. 

Andre

Tried everything with no luck.Been having this problem for years.I tried renumbering a folder with six songs...001-006,then using each of the three list options...nope,still won’t work.Am I missing a setting in the main menu or are the songs just going to play in a predetermined order?Is it possibly to do with the tags that are loaded with the songs?

Tags can be used for sorting songs, but if they are not present then PA can use the filename instead.

What library Category are you using to see your music - Folders, Albums, Artists, etc? Or, as you alluded to in your original post, are you actually looking at Playlists (which as I said before are a special case, they are just a predefined list of specific songs, not necessarily from the same folders or albums, with their running order pre-set in the playlist - like a good old-fashioned "awesome mix tape" :) ).

Also, List Options sorting orders normally contain a dozen or so sorting options, not just three as you described. 

As you state you are attempting to rename the first few digits of your filenames to cause them to be re-sorted, I would suggest the following:

• Press the Library icon (the four-squares icon, lower-left in the icon bar)
  • Choose Folders Hierarchy (or just plain Folders if you prefer to see a long list layout)
  • Drill-down through the folder titles until you get into the one you wish to work with, and you can see the list of songs
  • Tap the three-dots menu icon (top-right of the songs list) and select List Options
  • Set the Sort order for that Folder Songs view to By Filename and tap Close:
    image.png
  • The songs list should now be sorted based on the physical filenames of your audio files. You will see see any Title/Artist/Album/etc wording in the lists and on the player screen (if indeed your files are tagged at all) but the sorting will be based purely on the names of the files in your device's storage.
  • Tap a song to start listening to it. The subsequent songs will be played in the same order as the list (assuming Shuffle is turned off, of course).

Andre

Archived