A suggestion about hi-res output frequency

uiaq

hi-res output frequency is usually selected manually.

When I have many tracks,  it's does not apply to all tracks.

recommended Automatically identify track frequency and change hi-res output frequency

This has been discussed in the past, but the dev thinks that dynamic (per-track) bitrate/frequency adjustment would break too many other things. Some devices are only capable of fixed steps for example, and it would cause clicks/glitches between tracks and break other features such as gapless and crossfade.

I do wonder if it might not be possible to offer this as an experimental option though (with suitable warnings about glitches and that it may not work on many devices). My own feeling is that (apart from All Songs Shuffle playback) most of the time any given album or folder will most likely contain files of the same resolution/frequency anyway, so there would be no need to make output changes during playback of that album until you switch to a different album, when any glitching would be far less serious.

Andre

23 hours ago, andrewilley said:

This has been discussed in the past, but the dev thinks that dynamic (per-track) bitrate/frequency adjustment would break too many other things. Some devices are only capable of fixed steps for example, and it would cause clicks/glitches between tracks and break other features such as gapless and crossfade.

I do wonder if it might not be possible to offer this as an experimental option though (with suitable warnings about glitches and that it may not work on many devices). My own feeling is that (apart from All Songs Shuffle playback) most of the time any given album or folder will most likely contain files of the same resolution/frequency anyway, so there would be no need to make output changes during playback of that album until you switch to a different album, when any glitching would be far less serious.

Andre

Sound quality first.

Other things are second.

recommended  automatically disable the conflict option.

Or any better idea.

Archived