Chance to get old data back

CptDayDreamer

Hello. I got the bug mentioned here: https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/17128-mp3-tags-not-scanned-on-new-music-on-sd-card/

I didn't even wanted to wipe all of my data because there was much time in it applying stars to my favorite songs and stuff...

But in the Settings -> library -> music folder nothing was selected and I was wondering. I selected the right folder of the SD-card and yea... tags and everything fixed but no favorites, no often played...

That's horrible. Can I do something? My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S10 with Android 10.

If PA has (for whatever reason) had to rescan all of your music collection back into its database, the songs will now appear as if they are new files in a new storage location - even though they happen to have the same names as old files which Poweramp assumed had been deleted and cleared from its memory. Anything contained within those files (tag data, embedded artwork, etc) will be restored during the rescan, but anything that was contained only in Poweramp's local database will no longer apply to what PA considers to be 'new' files. Sadly, this includes things like star ratings, most played, recently added - and possibly internal playlist entries.

At present, PA does not write that sort of user-created data back into the metadata tags in files, although there are third-party apps such as New Playlist Manager which can do just that. This unfortunately won't help you now though, as once database information has been lost there is no way to recover it unless you had previously made a backup. 

Andre

6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

If PA has (for whatever reason) had to rescan all of your music collection back into its database, the songs will now appear as if they are new files in a new storage location - even though they happen to have the same names as old files which Poweramp assumed had been deleted and cleared from its memory. Anything contained within those files (tag data, embedded artwork, etc) will be restored during the rescan, but anything that was contained only in Poweramp's local database will no longer apply to what PA considers to be 'new' files. Sadly, this includes things like star ratings, most played, recently added - and possibly internal playlist entries.

At present, PA does not write that sort of user-created data back into the metadata tags in files, although there are third-party apps such as New Playlist Manager which can do just that. This unfortunately won't help you now though, as once database information has been lost there is no way to recover it unless you had previously made a backup. 

Andre

How to create a backup? I would really prefer to create one now...

1 hour ago, CptDayDreamer said:

How to create a backup? I would really prefer to create one now...

As I said, there's a third-party app called New Playlist Manager which can do this.

PA on its own can backup any internally-created Playlists and turn them into physical .M3U8 playlist files (see Settings > Library > Playlists > Export).

Andre

3 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

As I said, there's a third-party app called New Playlist Manager which can do this.

PA on its own can backup any internally-created Playlists and turn them into physical .M3U8 playlist files (see Settings > Library > Playlists > Export).

Andre

Ah okay I thought there's a chance to save recently added and my star ratings and stuff... that's more interesting. Maybe like in old times TitaniumBackup?

Just now, CptDayDreamer said:

Ah okay I thought there's a chance to save recently added and my star ratings and stuff... that's more interesting. Maybe like in old times TitaniumBackup?

You didn't mention you had Titanium Backup. If you can go back to a backup version from before the point to problem occurred, you might still be able to export via New Playlist Manager immediately after you revert the PA version (don't run the new PA first in  case it wipes the values again). Worth a try anyway.

Andre

Archived