popping, crackling

chrctrlmt

Hello,

For nearly as long as I've been using Poweramp (many years) I have had issues with various files crackling and popping.  It isn't every file, but I have not been able to find a pattern.  It definitely occurs more on hi-res files (FLAC 24/44.1 or 24/48 or 24/96).  I've attempted disabling DVC per output, for the whole app, and for the whole system (in developer options).  I'm not using equalizers, or any other audio enhancements.  Buffer is set to maximum. 

No matter what I try, the issue persists.  I just can't figure it out.  I'm currently using build 860, but this has been occurring since v2.  I tried to attach a file but it's too big.  Can anyone assist with this issue?  Poweramp is so close to perfect...but this issue drives me nuts.

Edit: forgot to mention, this occurs both on my wired headphones (focal utopia) and my car when using android auto or bluetooth.   Also a earpiece over bluetooth generates the same crackling.

Thanks!

Try listening with Flat equ. preset and bass set on 0%. If no artifacts - your issue is in the clipping due to the high volume + high basses equalization. Limiter (LIMIT equalizer button) if enabled makes sound wow-ish around bass as well in this case.

For DVC to work properly over BT, absolute volume should be disabled (on samsung devices prior Android 10 it's named media sync). The detailed info is given in Settings / Audio / Direct Volume Control (DVC) page.

Absolute volume means 100% volume samples are sent to the BT device - there is almost no dynamic range to apply any equalization. Good for Flat preset, no basses and DSP/tone/equalization done on the headunit.

Thanks!

Amazing.  It was the stereo expand.  I had it at 77%.  I have no idea when I set that, but I imagine it's been like that a very long time and I forgot all about it.

I made the changes you mentioned, it improved, then I turned stereo expand to 0% and it's gone completely.  I wish I had wrote in about this sooner.

Thanks so much.

Archived