Better sound on older phone ?!

andreidan.hd87

So I have been using poweamp for 5 years now and last year i decided to change my phone. I was just wondering, why my old phone samsung galaxy s3 neo sounds more crystal clear and powerful than my new samsung galaxy a6+. I felt the difference imediatly, played the 2 phones side by side, same songs, same pair of headphones and same equalizer settings. How come an old phone sounds better than the new one ? Is something more I could try ?

4 hours ago, andreidan.hd87 said:

So I have been using poweamp for 5 years now and last year i decided to change my phone. I was just wondering, why my old phone samsung galaxy s3 neo sounds more crystal clear and powerful than my new samsung galaxy a6+. I felt the difference imediatly, played the 2 phones side by side, same songs, same pair of headphones and same equalizer settings. How come an old phone sounds better than the new one ? Is something more I could try ?

You could compare the Poweramp settings, especially equalizer, stereox, reverb etc, then the output plugins and their settings, then advanced tweaks, DVC etc. Long press on the info bar gives the audio info, compare that too.

If the settings are identical you could try another output plugin, no DVC, increased buffer size on your new phone.

Does music played from other players also sound that different ? If you use the Audiotrack output plugin, the phone's own audio settings might be used as well. Reset those then.

15 minutes ago, andreidan.hd87 said:

I used the same equalizer settings, no other plugins, dvc on or off, even the buffer or high ress output and the same version of Poweramp. I think that it is related to  the audio chip on old phone that is more of quality than the new one.

so then other players, e.g. Samsung music  or Google Music, also sound better on the S3 ?

23 minutes ago, andreidan.hd87 said:

I used the same equalizer settings, no other plugins, dvc on or off, even the buffer or high ress output and the same version of Poweramp. I think that it is related to  the audio chip on old phone that is more of quality than the new one.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a6_plus_2018-review-1790p3.php

"The Samsung Galaxy A6+ (2018) delivered flawless clarity and above average loudness when it was hooked up to an active external amplifier, rounding up a very solid performance.

The headphones dropped the loudness to average and introduced a moderate amount of stereo crosstalk and intermodulation distortion. It’s not the most inspiring set of results we’ve seen, but it will work just fine for the majority of people."

It is not really plausible that the A6+ should have a worse hardware compared to the S3 neo. Perhaps your device is broken.

I said above that I feel the difference with the same headphones. After google it, i read that the s3 neo has some kind of audio quality chip made by Wolfson (Featuring class-leading technology, the WM1811 provides crystal-clear voice call quality and enriched audio playback for music and video while minimising power consumption, enabling manufacturers such as Samsung to create outstanding HD Audio user experiences with long battery life.).  I don't know what audio chip the a6+ uses, but it's a difference in quality and it's not the phone. I compared 2 other a6+ models with the same pair and same settings and the quality doesn't reach the s3 neo.  The a6+ doesn't stand out at some sounds from the background, it makes them sound like a bad quality ogg. I realized that at almost every song, that are some sounds that s3 neo stands them out crystal clear. I don't know what to say more.

3 hours ago, andreidan.hd87 said:

I don't know what to say more. 

You could tell us whether this difference in the quality of sound reproduction stays the same when you use another app to play the music. If so this would be a strong argument for the hardware being the cause of your perception.

Archived