Playing a Genre in order

John L

I am trying out Poweramp currently and I really like it. One thing I haven't been able to figure out though is how to play a genre in order. If I just hit the play button on the "genre" I selected it plays the first album in that genre and then stops. So for the genre of Rock, I hit play and it plays .38 Special Greatest Hits track by track, since it is the first one, and then stops. I can hit the shuffle button and it will dance around throughout the genre, but sometimes I just want to roll through all 40 albums from the top like a big playlist. Is there a setting I am missing or a way to do it?

5 hours ago, John L said:

I am trying out Poweramp currently and I really like it. One thing I haven't been able to figure out though is how to play a genre in order. If I just hit the play button on the "genre" I selected it plays the first album in that genre and then stops. So for the genre of Rock, I hit play and it plays .38 Special Greatest Hits track by track, since it is the first one, and then stops. I can hit the shuffle button and it will dance around throughout the genre, but sometimes I just want to roll through all 40 albums from the top like a big playlist. Is there a setting I am missing or a way to do it?

There are sporadic bug reports about genre-related issues, but most deal with the recognition of multiple genres, genre image, genre for artist's and albums etc.

There's only one so far about a genre playing incident :

@NetoPinheiro

Are you still unable to play a genre ?

@Both of you: could you try to do a Settings > Library > Full Rescan ? That's not a really specific action, but is known to have helped for some strange issues.

Other things to try out could be uninstall/reinstall or shift music files from SD to internal.

I would agree, I don't know if it is a bug, I think I just don't have something set right. And my fault for not mentioning I saw that thread about genres and that my case is just one genre assigned to each song from MusicBee and the songs are all on an SD card.

So I feel really dumb, but where is that repeat mode that you did the screen shot of, found? I can't find it. So clearly I didn't change anything there but setting it to Advance List makes sense as a likely solution.

1 hour ago, John L said:

So I feel really dumb, but where is that repeat mode that you did the screen shot of, found? I can't find it. So clearly I didn't change anything there but setting it to Advance List makes sense as a likely solution. 

Directly below the album art there are several buttons. with the right one you control shuffling, the next one tells Poweramp what it should do once an album has ended. Short taps on this button switch its settings, a long press comes up with the menu from my last screenshot.

I would guess that have set "Repeat off", that would explain why Poweramp stops at the end of the album. "Advance List" should tell the player to continue with the next album.

12201920815.jpg

Interesting. My interface doesn't look the same. Is your's an older version? I just downloaded mine from the Play Store this week.

Same location on the screen but on the left side under the album art I have the crossed arrows for shuffling and then a round traditional play button type arrow, a button that says "select" and finally a three dot button. When I press the play or shuffle button (short tap or long) it only changes the song selection which shows up at the bottom of the screen. No additional menus come up. The "select" button brings up a menu to select all of the songs and add them to a queue, delete etc. But nothing like what you mentioned unfortunately. Wonder if I should I uninstall and reinstall? That or is there a magic reset button in terms of a restore to original settings master location?

21 minutes ago, John L said:

Interesting. My interface doesn't look the same. Is your's an older version? I just downloaded mine from the Play Store this week.

Same location on the screen but on the left side under the album art I have the crossed arrows for shuffling and then a round traditional play button type arrow, a button that says "select" and finally a three dot button. When I press the play or shuffle button (short tap or long) it only changes the song selection which shows up at the bottom of the screen. No additional menus come up. The "select" button brings up a menu to select all of the songs and add them to a queue, delete etc. But nothing like what you mentioned unfortunately. Wonder if I should I uninstall and reinstall? That or is there a magic reset button in terms of a restore to original settings master location?

No need to reinstall ! Poweramp has got two screens, views or whatever you may call it. The one that you describe is the "list view", see first screenshot. Tap on a song and playing starts and it changes to the "main playing screen", second screenshot. That is, if you've configured it that way in Settings > Library > Lists > List Item Click Action, third screenshot. The repeat button resides on the main playing screen.

122019205243.jpg

122019205254.jpg

122019205554.jpg

Ah. Yep, I am a list view kind of guy and I never noticed that repeat button tucked up there. Thanks.  That is helpful to understand why I wasn't seeing what you were. And that I have a repeat button etc, it is just on the mail play screen. Also  it sounds like I need to turn on the hints for a bit until I understand the ramifications of some of the setting choices I am making. Thanks for the heads up there too. Having all these options is a blessing and a curse. Thanks blaubar.

8 hours ago, John L said:

Thanks for the heads up there too. Having all these options is a blessing and a curse. Thanks blaubar.

You're welcome !

One further hint on your way to perfection 😀 : if you switch from list view to main screen you do this by tapping on a song, which is then started ( if it is configured that way ), or by tapping on the miniplayer below. You can customize the first method as to whether Poweramp will restart the currently playing song when you tap on it, or just keeps playing and switches to the main screen : "Click Restarts Track"

13201951522.jpg

Archived