Missing Trax

Doug60

I recently began using this application as every update in the last few years of Apple i-tunes were steps backwards.  I tried Google Play Music and it worked for a short time but recently Google changed the program and it wasn't congruent with the organization of my library.  .   

Found your program and really like it.  I have a 128GB SD card and a large collection of classical music.  All my music together on one device.  Love it!  However, I have noticed that trax go missing after I have added additional trax for those composers for which I have a large number of files. 

All my files have this format:  Beethoven: Piano Concerto #1 In C Major, Op. 15 - I. Allegro Con Brio    The album titles have this format:  Beethoven:  Piano Concerto #1.  It will be one movement of the concerto that goes missing over several artists.    

Since I have quite a number of complete cycles of these concertos, I renamed the albums:  Beethoven: Piano Concerto #1 (3). Didn't fix the problem and subsequently the problem exists with with others composers.

Didn't notice it until yesterday,  but there are random movements of the Beethoven violin concerto missing as well.  So I'm surmising that when the number of trax beginning with the same composer exceeds 99, the application can't handle it properly and it randomly deletes files.

Possibly, this is fixed in the newer version you are about to release.  

Files should never get deleted from your storage.

As far as I know there are no limits to the number of items that can have the same Composer tag (it's not a 'list' of composers as such, it's just one big music database where Composer happens to be one of the searchable/indexable fields). Do these missing items appear in the All Songs list, or Albums/Artists/Folders, rather than viewing by Composers?

We had someone else report something similar recently, and it turned out that their 128GB card was corrupt (not all devices can reliably handle cards of that size). You could try reformatting the card and then copy all the music back from your computer. Some Android devices don't like exFAT formatting by the way, so also try FAT32 if you still have problems.

Andre

Thanks for your reply.  Actually, in my version of the Poweramp app there is no composer tag on which to search.  The missing items do not appear in the Albums or Artist folders. It is in the Album folder and Artists folders where I find that a song has gone missing. 

I'll do a test on another device and see if the problem occurs.  It has a 64gb card and I'll post whether this problem occurs there.       

Same thing is happening.  There was one artist that the entire 3 movements of Concerto #1 were missing after transferring the files and another pianist had 2 files missing from Concerto #2.   

Transferred the missing files.  Both artists have - 15 files (5 concertos x 3 movements).  However, the first concerto is now missing from a different artist that isn't even close alphabetically.  The other artist with the 2 files is complete but they are now missing from the 2nd concerto by the same pianist whose files were missing from the 1st concerto.  

The missing trax are not found in the song lists, albums or artist folders. 

My work around has been to delete all the concertos of that particular composer from 2 or 3 artists and everything is fine. 

I did this test on a device that only has 751 trax on it including the concertos  525 trax are of one artist. Rescanning the folders never fixes the problem.

I have a huge library of broadway shows and popular music on the 128GB SD card and missing songs doesn't appear to be a problem with those. 

Since the new version is being built from the bottom up, I'm hoping that this is no longer an issue.  I don't believe that the SD cards are defective.  If the new version doesn't fix the problem, I can live with it.  

Not that it solves your missing tracks problem, but the 'Composer' library category is available in all versions of Poweramp. However it is not one of the default categories, so go to the main top Library view (where you see all the category choices) and tap Menu > List Options and you can define which categories you wish to see and remove ones you never use.

Andre

Took hours to resolve the missing file issue - 

Can't format in FAT32 - According to information on the www, Samsung android phones automatically reformat to the Generic Hierarchical format.

Found a posting that Samsung phones can have issues with disappearing files unless using a Samsung branded SD card.  

Purchased the Samsung SD Card 128GB.  Same problem. 

I use Wondershare TunesGO to transfer my files from my itunes library.  This is where the problem lies.  After transferring a file beginning with the same title i.e. Beethoven: Piano Concerto ...........beginning with the 68th transfer, the software is randomly deleting a similar titled file from the SD card on the phone.  

Posting this just in case someone else is experiencing the same problem.   I have notified Wondershare of the issue. 

If you ever do need to format your SD Card in a different way (you obviously don't need to now as you have found your problem) then you should be able to do it on a PC, where it is also quicker for backing up and restoring files.

I'm pretty old-school myself, I don't use any automatic syncing programs, nor do I sort by tags. I don't even have iTunes on any of my devices, nor do I have an iTunes account, not a big fan of the way Apple want to do things its way rather than mine. I copy my music directly from my folders on my computer to my phone. I have the phone's SD Card mounted on my PC's desktop via wi-fi using a samba directory sharing app on the phone, so it's just a drag and drop operation when I have new music to copy.

Andre

Archived