Main program on SD CARD

casamonte

Hello folks,

I enjoy Poweramp alot and use it on my HTC Desire. But Poweramp is quite using a few memory ressources of my device. With today's update I hoped, there would be an option to move the program from the main device memory to the SD Card. But obviously, there isn't. When will this feature be implemented?

Cheers,

Casamonte

Android OS doesn't support widgets for sd card installed apps, and PowerAMP has 4 such widgets. It can't be easily worked around, the only solution is to also provide another application for supporting PowerAMP widgets which should be installed to the main memory.

Well, I just installed RSS Reader PULSE and moved it to the SD Card. Nevertheless, PULSE comes with Widgets. So, how does this match your statement that widget bases applications cannot be installed onto an external memory card?

Hey, did you read the post? Who said that the application cannot be moved? What was told is that widgets are not supported in OS directly. There's a TODO list stickied in the forums saying "separate small widget app to support widgets for those who moved Poweramp to sd card". Nothing prevents you from moving any app to SD if you're rooted. Rooting process would take you less time than registering and posting on this forum.

casamonte

Right, Pulse supports widgets and can be moved to sd card, but when moved to sd card - pulse widget disappears.

Anyway, move to sd card is planned feature and I want to make that android os+sd card widget issue a non-issue for PowerAMP, but this requires some efforts from my side ;)

Well, I just installed RSS Reader PULSE and moved it to the SD Card. Nevertheless, PULSE comes with Widgets. So, how does this match your statement that widget bases applications cannot be installed onto an external memory card?

Hey, did you read the post? Who said that the application cannot be moved? What was told is that widgets are not supported in OS directly. There's a TODO list stickied in the forums saying "separate small widget app to support widgets for those who moved Poweramp to sd card". Nothing prevents you from moving any app to SD if you're rooted. Rooting process would take you less time than registering and posting on this forum.

Sorry, I am not interested in rooting my device.

casamonte

Right, Pulse supports widgets and can be moved to sd card, but when moved to sd card - pulse widget disappears.

Anyway, move to sd card is planned feature and I want to make that android os+sd card widget issue a non-issue for Poweramp, but this requires some efforts from my side ;)

As a matter of fact, PULSE widget does not disappear. I have moved PULSE to the SD card (device not rooted, PULSE brings this option with it) from the beginning and tried to place a widget on one home screen after moving the program to the SD card. The widget is still up and works perfectly.

Anyway, I eagerly wait for the planned feature an will stay tuned :) No offense, just asking.

It did disappeared for me on Nexus 1 2.2.2. It will most probably disappear for you also after phone reboot/sd card re-mount. Android OS does not plain support widgets for sd card apps.

Still, there are workaround (e.g. separate app for widgets only which installs into main memory), but I think this can produce even more problems/questions.

Archived