Poweramp EQ isn't applying my preset for Android Auto

Is there a way to have Poweramp equalizer automatically apply my preset when playing YouTube Music in Android Auto? Or can it always apply the preset when playing YouTube Music? Or if neither of those are possible can it stay running, applying the preset system wide, so it would also apply to AA? Then I could disable it as needed

The notification bar shows "no players" even when music is playing in YT music on AA.

Edit it's not applying the preset when playing YT music through the phone speaker either, even though the preset is saved to apply for "speaker"

Last comment: when when the Poweramp EQ is open and a preset is applied and YT music is playing the notification drop down shows "no player" even though EQ is being applied.

Edited by workerOne

If it's not being equalized anywhere, is YT Music enabled in the Known Players list?

I'm not sure about when outputting to Android Audio specifically though, does your system send the audio component from your phone to the car via Bluetooth, which is common with AA setups?

Andre

Posted (edited)

Hi, yes it is being applied when I open Poweramp eq  and apply the preset. Yes YouTube music is in the known players list.

I just don't want to have to open the app to have it apply. I wonder if the notification bar notification works correctly.

Searching shows that Android Auto doesn't really use Bluetooth, that maybe assigning the preset to "speaker" might work... But the notification never shows a preset is applied.

Edited by workerOne

Posted (edited)

It shows speaker as the output device. I already had the preset applied to speaker. I wonder if the notification bar isn't keeping the app alive, or does the preset not apply after the phone has had battery saver mode turned on and then off, or did it just work worse when the phone hasn't been rebooted in weeks?

It does seem to work okay after rebooting but I've noticed that before.

Edited by workerOne

I wonder if I just checked "speaker" for that preset within the last day or two but forgot, and maybe that fixed it. I'll update this thread in a week or so with results. Thanks everyone

Well it stops working after a while, the notification shows "no player" and to get it working again I have to close the notification, close Poweramp eq, and I think I have to close YouTube music, then open Poweramp then open YouTube music and the notification icon will work again to load the preset. I wonder if it has something to do with my phone going into do not disturb mode while I sleep, or something like that. The notification isn't maintaining it's functionality like it's supposed to.

YT Music isn't really working good with Poweramp Equalizer. 

It's showing as a known Player but processing of the EQ is really seldom recognized. 

Personaly I don't care about it because I don't use YT Music much. 

I'm using Xiaomi HyperOS latest update on Android 14.

• 4 weeks later...

Came here with a similar question.  Out of curiosity, does OP WorkerOne have a car with Wireless Android Auto?  For me, things work properly when I am wired; the car shows up through a Bluetooth connection and presets can be easily saved as normal.

However, when using wireless AA, the car is not picked up as a separate device at all; it merely uses the preset dedicated for the phone speakers, and Poweramp Amplifier reports the "active sound device" as the cars speakers.

I don't know if it's possible to differentiate between "normal" speaker and "wirelessAA" speaker.  May be a system limitation.  Can apps detect ANY running carplay instance and change accordingly regardless of current output device perhaps?

@yilow5jlf the Output device name which triggers a new Profile to be activated is provided by Android, which is shown as the final content at the end of the Audio Info screen. Bluetooth audio (as used by most cabled Android Auto setups) gives a distinct model name for that specific device, but it seems that wireless AA does not and Android simply reports it as being the same as 'Speaker'. This would make it hard to PA or the PA-EQ to separate the two as Android is saying they are the same thing.

Andre

Hi yes I'm using wireless Android Auto. I usually need to open Poweramp EQ manually to get it to work. Otherwise usually either the notification isn't running or it just doesn't recognize AA and doesn't apply a preset.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2024 at 4:37 AM, andrewilley said:

@yilow5jlf the Output device name which triggers a new Profile to be activated is provided by Android, which is shown as the final content at the end of the Audio Info screen. Bluetooth audio (as used by most cabled Android Auto setups) gives a distinct model name for that specific device, but it seems that wireless AA does not and Android simply reports it as being the same as 'Speaker'. This would make it hard to PA or the PA-EQ to separate the two as Android is saying they are the same thing.

Andre

Sorry it's been a while.  Maybe wireless android auto can be detected in other ways?  For example, you need to be connected to a specific wifi network from the car and are still connected via Bluetooth.  If Poweramp eq can recognize you're connected to a wifi network from a car (even if you have to choose it manually), you could apply a profile that way?

Posted (edited)

I just realized that the notification bar isn't working at all to show what Poweramp EQ is doing. It isn't recognizing other players like Spotify even when playing through Bluetooth. So the issue seems to be with the notification bar. Even when I manually open the EQ and make sure it's working and the player is recognized the notification bar still shows "no players"

Edited by workerOne

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to bump this thread again but I now believe that the EQ preset was probably applied all along but I had no easy of knowing it because it was very subtle EQ change. I think even though the notification didn't indicate anything was applied, the EQ was still applied. I tried using an obnoxious amount of bass (turned the knob to 90/100) and it remained in effect even though there was no visual indication.