car bluetooth shuffle issue with playlist

FJ_SLC

Hi,

I've used Poweramp for years to play folders on the car audio system.  Love it (except for the inconsistent quality of my MP3's 😒 )  This last weekend I drove from Salt Lake City to Cheyenne Wyoming.  I didn't want to have to mess with changing folders while driving so I created a long, 14 hours 41 minutes, playlist using MP3s from multiple folders. I get Poweramp playing, go to Playlists, select the Cheyenne playlist and tap shuffle. Yay loving the shuffle feature, I'll be using it a lot in the future 😀

During the 16 hours highway time, after a period of time, anywhere from one MP3 to 2 or 3 hours, it jumps to an MP3 not in the playlist.  It's always the first MP3 in the same folder, neither of which are on the playlist.  I unlock the phone, tap shuffle on the playlist again and it starts shuffling the playlist. Then anywhere from 1 MP3 to 2 or 3 hours it goes outside the playlist again, to that same MP3 in the same folder.  Over the 16 hours it happened 5-8 times.  Most often as I was starting out after a stop, but I always restart shuffle in the playlist.

I really don't like messing with the phone at 80mph on the highway. Any thoughts?

Thanks

FJ

I can't see why it should take so long to occur, but it sounds as though you might have unplayed items in the temporary Queue. Have a look in that Library Category and clear the songs if there are any present.

Otherwise, the track counter (shown between the Sleep and Repeat icons on the Player Screen) should always show the current position within the category that is being used (in this case, that would be your playlist). So for a playlist that contains nnn songs,  it should start at "1/nnn", then increase to "2/nnn", "3/nnn", etc. If that counter ever goes back to "1/xxx" it means that a new sequence has been started. Does that happen whenever an unexpected song starts playing, or does it continue counting up? Can you go back to the previous track in the sequence using the "<<" button?  

Andre

Thanks, the track counter is showing up now.  I've cleared the queue and I'll see how shuffle works the next time I'm in the car.  I won't be on a drive longer than 15 minutes again for I don't know how long. 

When I'm playing a folder and turn the car off, when I start it again it picks up where it left off and continues playing remaining songs in the folder.  Should shuffle exhibit the same behavior, i.e. finish the song that was playing and go to the next in the playlist?  Most of the jumping out of the queue occurred right after restarting the car.

I'll keep you posted, thanks for the assist. 😀

When you pause Poweramp and exit the app, even if you then reboot your Android device, it should resume playback exactly where it left off - i.e. the same position in the song, and playing from the same Category (Playlist, Folder, Album, etc) as before. This includes the position in a Shuffled sequence.

However with car headunits, it is not uncommon for their power-down process to not allow enough time after sending an Android Shutdown Intent for apps to complete the process before the power is cut. To check this, Pause playback and exit Poweramp a little while before you turn the car ignition off, and see if the last-played position was correctly saved next time you start the car. 

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had any trips longer than 15 minutes since I got back from Cheyenne.  I've been playing the same playlist and I've been pausing Poweramp before turning the vehicle off and haven't seen the problem again. Maybe I'll drive to Idaho next week and see how it works.