PowerAMP and Mediaserver?

G00fY

Hello everyone,

I'm using latest Poweramp version on my Motorolay Defy with "official" CyanogenMod. I daily use Poweramp. Now I noticed, that in settings > batteryusage the prozess "Mediaserver" is about 40%. Can this be caused by Poweramp?

Is there a setting which could influence this process?

Thanks for your help

Do you have it set up to automatically start playing when you insert a headset? I turned that off and I saw mediaserver go down quite a bit. I believe there are other things that use this as well, but I'm not really sure what they are. I asked this question a long time ago, but never got a response.

mediaserver process on Android:

- scans sd card/storages for system audio, video and photo libraries. PowerAMP (2.0+) doesn't use system library.

- plays audio for stock media player and players which uses system media player component. PowerAMP doesn't use system media component.

- on Android 2.3+ processes audio with system audio effects. PowerAMP doesn't use system effects, still, if you have apps like Equalizer which processes all audio globally, that can be it.

Thanks!

mediaserver process on Android: - scans sd card/storages for system audio, video and photo libraries. Poweramp (2.0+) doesn't use system library. - plays audio for stock media player and players which uses system media player component. Poweramp doesn't use system media component. - on Android 2.3+ processes audio with system audio effects. Poweramp doesn't use system effects, still, if you have apps like Equalizer which processes all audio globally, that can be it. Thanks!

Interesting. Then, how on earth can I get this stupid thing to stop eating my battery life...

Hmmmmm.

It's chewing up battery on my ICS Galaxy Nexus as well when I use Poweramp. I have the stock music player and musicfx both disabled in apps, no other equalizer or sound enhancer enabled.

If Poweramp isn't running the mediaserver behaves.

Are you sure Poweramp isn't somehow touching files and/or folders and causing the mediaserver process to start scanning?

• 3 weeks later...

Since I picked up my Galaxy Nexus a few weeks ago I have not been real thrilled with the battery life.

Woke up this morning (4:00) and disconnected the phone from its charger. Went to the gym for about an hour and listened to music (w/Poweramp) as I usually do. Before 8 AM (at work) I could feel heat from my phone (in pocket). I took it out and saw that I had used 75% of the battery (typically not the case until mid-evening). I checked the battery stats and saw something I had not previously noticed - not that I look very often - and that was Mediaserver. It was second on the list (right behind the OS) as far as battery use.

At the rate I was going, it would be dead in an hour. I powered off and powered the phone back on. Fortunately, the steep drop leveled off - though at 2 PM, its not gone much left.

So.. I suppose that something glitched in Mediaserver and caused it to start hogging resources. I will have to keep a close watch on this.

I did notice during one song that I received an email notification, and right after that the volume was significantly reduced (and not just for a moment) I had to kick it up 2-3 clicks to return it to normal. That has never occured previously.

hmmmm..... SOMETHING needs fixin' !!!!

• 2 months later...

got same problem here.

3 hours on, and Poweramp got 11% of my batter while mediaserver 28%.

...and I have a .nomedia on my Music folder.

I will try putting the .nomedia in the root of my SD and see how it goes, just for testing purposes

experiment failed.

i put the .nomedia in the SD root, but today i get these stats:

phone on battery for 6+ hours (starting from full). Battery is now at 67% of which

mediaserver 26%

Poweramp 9%

how can it be if Poweramp doesn't use mediaserver?

10oie6a.jpg

Archived