Low volume with high res output (Builds up to 808)

thomasedv

Posted it in the 808 candidate thread, but decided it might as well be mentioned in a thread.

When i toggle on High - Res output, volume goes down drastically. Happens regardless of DVC being enabled or not. (So likely not that same as that issue, though volume does go further down with DVC on)

We are talking about having my volume at less then 50% for normal output, and 75-80 % for high res without DVC, and 90-95% with DVC on as well. 

Backstory, could have useful information as i make a few assumptions based on observation: 

This issue appeared for me on one of the early new UI builds. App works fine for a few hours or days, then suddenly everything is low one morning as i start up music with my headset. In the early builds, you had the option of selecting Float32 and 24 bit, and the issue happened only on 24 bit volume after the app had been idling (say not used since the day before.) Float32 on the other hand made cracking sounds with my low quality music so it was a tradeoff either way. Toggling to Float32 and back to 24 bit fixed the issue temporarily. (Until the app had time to idle or go into standby). Eventually this float32 and 24bit option got removed or hidden, as changes was made to the music system and options screens. I was quite happy, as the issue seemed to not happen anymore. But after using the app for a few weeks, it suddenly was low volume for the high res output again. And then there was no way around it at all that i could find to fix it. I've tried toggling any options i could find, even barely relevant to the issue. With some newer builds, the issue might go away on after the update only to return soon after. 

I also tried deleting app information from the system setttings and removing Poweramp and all it's folders completely, then installing it again.(Build 808) And that seems to work, just for a little while until this error happens again. Right now, i got it working today, but i'm expecting to be disappointed one morning in the following days. It's from the repeated observation of this that i make that assumption that a setting (probably a hidden one at that, likely not controlled by the user, if there are any) is getting changed to something wrong during shutdown/idle saving, or during the loading of the app into memory when it's opened/prompted to start from a media signal. It's also seemingly irreversible until a reinstall/wipe of the settings from a user perspective. Again pointing to toggling the 24 and 32 setting in the early build being the solution that temporarily fixed the problem. Last i wiped the settings it didn't fix it, but i have had some trouble where Poweramp retains settings despite the reinstall so i went and manually removed the leftover folders last time after the unsinstall where i managed to reset it and have my sound appear normal. So we'll see how long that lasts. 

I also tested now, when the sound is normal, that restoring my exported settings from a backup during the broken period, did not introduce a broken sound. So it's likely not stored there. 

Specs and info:                   

HTC 10 (international version), Stock ROM, Android 8.0.0. 

Tested multiple builds as they were released, the latest one being 808. 

Music is various VBR mp3s mostly downloaded from youtube, so obviously the quality of the files aren't that good to begin with. Still, i at least feel like a get better sound with high-res output :P

Anything more i should add? I will also add a update the next time my sound goes to hell. 

Archived