Slow start with "Initialization / Folders scan"

Hi,

Sorry if it has been asked before but I could not find an answer.

I bought an Archos 70IT with 250 GB HDD to be able to store my full music collection, and once powered by Poweramp, it really is what I was looking for.

However, as the Archos eats up much power even in "sleeping" mode, I have to shut it down completely between sessions to avoid draining the battery, and when I start it up again, Poweramp shows the "Initialization / Folders scan" message for about 2 minutes before being usable. That, plus the Archos' own startup time makes it very long before I hear something

As I intend to only use Poweramp in folder browsing mode, I already fiddled with Poweramp's options, namely :

- Music Folders : only /mnt/storage/Music is selected

- No System Scan For Folders : (don't know if checking the box means "scan" or "activate the No System Scan", tried both)

... to no avail

Is there any way I can get rid of this useless scanning phase ?

Best regards,

Vicne

• 1 month later...

Thanks for approving this message.

By the way, I noticed that if I click quickly on play, it is possible to start music before the scanning phase starts, but when the scanning begins, music is paused. If there's no way to suppress this phase, could it be made a background task that would not pause the music ?

Best regards,

Vicne

Bump... Anybody has an idea what I'm doing wrong ?

Here are my Poweramp settings :

montageu.png

And still the same message during 2 minutes after a few seconds of Poweramp playback :

init.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Vicne

I don't know about your specific hardware setup, but on my HTC Desire-Z phone I have more than 2,200 MP3 files in multiple subfolders on my SD card (all of which are located within one main MusicFolders folder, to keep the layout tidy) and PowerAMP does a full rescan of them all in about 3 seconds (although it said 1.2 seconds in the confirmation message - I don't think it can count :) ).

Andre

Hi, Andre, and thanks for your reply.

I have more than 2,200 MP3 files in multiple subfolders on my SD card and Poweramp does a full rescan of them all in about 3 seconds

Well, I think the difference is due to several factors : I have 10 times more files (25000) and the Archos has a much slower storage (good old mechanical hard drive).

In fact, I don't think the scanning is "too slow" regarding the amount of work to be performed, but my point is that this scanning is useless for my use of Poweramp, and I cannot find a way to disable it completely.

Indeed, using Poweramp in "Folder" mode only, all I need is a simple "file browser" that allows me to navigate the filesystem under the music root. In my case, my music folder contains 278 subfolders, and that should only take a fraction of a second to scan in background when I start to browse files, even showing the contained folder.jpg as icons...

Of course it's not a blocking issue, but I see it as a fairly easy thing to modify that would be greatly appreciated by intensive registered users like myself.

On the other hand, Poweramp already contains so many options regarding disabling of scanning, that I'm really tempted to think I didn't succeed in finding the right options combination...

Best regards,

Vicne

Hmm, I see your problem!

Would it be worth setting PowerAMP so that it doesn't scan any folders at all, and then launch PowerAmp directly when you click on an .MP3 file in a separate browser? Bit messy and laborious though, and would only work for one track at a time.

Andre

Archived