Poll: Social networking in your music app?!

Thalinor

Do you want to see social networking as part of this music app?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see social networking as part of this music app?

• Yes, I want social networking in my music app and will post why below.
    • No, keep this crap out of my music app! If I want social networking I will download it separately.

I have now seen two posts asking for social networking and am seriously concerned this amazing app is going to turn into some social networking crap. I do not see any reason someone has a need to spam the internet with what music they are playing on their cell phone. By adding social networking to this music app it runs the risk of using excessive battery life due to network use and the added permissions needed lead to security risks. There are many other feature suggestions here that have far more importance then stupid social networking. IMO the dev should be focusing time on those features and not one that only little brat children will use. My phone has enough social networking bloatware installed on it from Motorola, no need to add more.

If you choose yes, I would love to hear what kind of logic you are using and reasoning for wanting social network integration. Do you actually think people care what song you are listening to? Are you that arrogant you need to push that info on the world? Do you really need to look "cool" to your friends online by showing you are playing a certain song? What actual use does broadcasting to the world what you are playing on your phone have?

Amazingly, I've decided to post even though you, sir (I assume), seem to have the problem with arrogance and believing that yours is the only opinion that matters and everybody shares. I know that many, many people like to share what they're listening to at a given moment, or like sharing lyrics of a song that they're listening to on Facebook and Twitter. In fact, I dlvr.it to post tracks I "love" from last.fm to Twitter, and they get picked up by Facebook. There aren't that many I mark as loved, so they don't "flood" the Internet with this kind of content. Mostly, people will comment, "like" the post, and ask questions about the track that's posted. There's a reason why services like last.fm have RSS feeds for this content: people use it.

I agree with the developer that this functionality exists and doesn't "need" to be duplicated, but then again technically making a music player is a duplication of efforts by many others (including the Google developers of the stock player). So, what's the point of making another player at all? It offers features and a design that people like (even disregarding "The Great Shuffle Debate"), and the developer is asking for more requests and ideas. This could be something that more people like, so why not let it go rather than whine and complain about SOMEONE ELSE'S idea? Even if implemented, it would likely be purely optional anyway and not a big deal.

To those that want this feature now, all you have to do is create a www.last.fm account, install the last.fm player on your phone, PC, Mac, Linux system, etc., and pump the RSS feed of tracks you play to whatever you like. No need to wait. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Amazingly, I've decided to post even though you, sir (I assume), seem to have the problem with arrogance and believing that yours is the only opinion that matters and everybody shares. I know that many, many people like to share what they're listening to at a given moment, or like sharing lyrics of a song that they're listening to on Facebook and Twitter. In fact, I dlvr.it to post tracks I "love" from last.fm to Twitter, and they get picked up by Facebook. There aren't that many I mark as loved, so they don't "flood" the Internet with this kind of content. Mostly, people will comment, "like" the post, and ask questions about the track that's posted. There's a reason why services like last.fm have RSS feeds for this content: people use it.

I agree with the developer that this functionality exists and doesn't "need" to be duplicated, but then again technically making a music player is a duplication of efforts by many others (including the Google developers of the stock player). So, what's the point of making another player at all? It offers features and a design that people like (even disregarding "The Great Shuffle Debate"), and the developer is asking for more requests and ideas. This could be something that more people like, so why not let it go rather than whine and complain about SOMEONE ELSE'S idea? Even if implemented, it would likely be purely optional anyway and not a big deal.

To those that want this feature now, all you have to do is create a http://www.last.fm account, install the last.fm player on your phone, PC, Mac, Linux system, etc., and pump the RSS feed of tracks you play to whatever you like. No need to wait. :)

Nuff said. Angry dude didn't even reply, haha.

Archived