Track ordering by ID tag file number in Folder view

mathieu

Unless I have misunderstood something (which is far from impossible), it seems to me that when viewing the contents of an album in Library view, the tracks are ordered correctly on the basis of the ID3 track number tag.

If viewing the contents of the same album in Folder view, however, the tracks can only be viewed in the correct order if the files in that folder are named are named to include the track number. Is that correct?

So, if I name my tracks like this:

01_This_Track

02_ Another_Track

03_More_Tracks

...then the Folder view can display and play them in the correct order. If I name my tracks like this, however (and only keep the track number in the ID3 tag):

This_Track

Another_Track

More_Tracks

...then the Folder view will display my tracks in alphabetical order:

Another_Track

More_Tracks

This_Track

(My personal feeling is that track numbers, album and artist name, etc, should live in the mp3 file metadata (ID3 tag) rather than existing as part of the file name. I know this is an idealogical view that is somewhat divisive - but I know I'm not alone in managing my mp3 collection like this! I digress...)

I think I understand some of the reasons behind this approach to Folders. For example, I imagine that not all file formats handled by Poweramp have ID3 tags. And I know that the current approach makes it easy to make custom compilations that play in the intended order by simply renaming the files.

Nevertheless, I would love to have the flexibility to ask Poweramp to order Folder mp3 tracks on the basis of ID3 tags rather than the numerical ordering of file names. This would enable users like me to have all the Poweramp benefits of Folder navigation (not to mention the excellent gapless playback), without having to rename every mp3 file to include the track number. Hooray!

So how about it?

-Matthew

Thanks for the detailed description.

PowerAMP uses pure tag based sortings for Library lists and

pure filename based sortings for Folders list.

PowerAMP doesn't prescan all files for tags in Folders mode. To make sorting by tags available in Folders, complete tag prescan is needed and I try to avoid that.

Archived