Very slow start with larger SD Card on Android head unit

SimonB

I'm using Poweramp on a Vanku PX6 head unit, though this has been a common phenomenon with other Chinese Android car radios, with different versions of Android, and numerous Poweramp updates.

When the music files are stored on a microSD card, and there are a larger number of them (>5000 on various card sizes above 32 GB), it can take Poweramp up to two minutes before it starts playing. That's even if automatic rescan is turned off.

Other players (VLC etc.) do not have this problem, and it's not something I have encountered on Android phones with a similar or larger number of files on an external SD Card.

@SimonB what do you mean exactly by start? Time to full UI visible or something, such as scanning speed? Scan speeds depends on your storage performance - it's the only limiting factor for the current versions of Poweramp, though scanning happens in background and doesn't prevent player from the playing.

30 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@SimonB what do you mean exactly by start? Time to full UI visible or something, such as scanning speed? Scan speeds depends on your storage performance - it's the only limiting factor for the current versions of Poweramp, though scanning happens in background and doesn't prevent player from the playing.

I mean until the UI becomes fully visible and the music starts playing. Perhaps I'll make a video of this to demonstrate. Like I say, it has nothing to do with scanning - I have auto rescan turned off. And it doesn't happen on even a slow Android phone like a Samsung A22 - just on a head unit, using the same kind of microSD card.