PowerampEQ no longer disables Android stock EQ when using Spotify

Go to solution Solved by maxmp,

The latest Spotify update 8.9.70.556 has changed how PowerampEQ works on my Samsung S24 Ultra. 

PowerampEQ used to disable the stock Android EQ when playing music on Spotify.

Now the stock EQ interferes with PowerampEQ.

Example: Stock Android EQ is set to "Rock", and when I change it to "Normal", the EQ sounds for music playing from Spotify changes.

I tested PowerampEQ on the Samsung Music player app and the stock Android EQ has no effect on the sound of the music.

This seems to only effect Spotify when updated to the latest version, and there is aparently no way to roll back the Spotify app to a prior build.

For PowerampEQ app I have the latest build 985 and I have made no changes to the settings on PowerampEQ since updating to the latest Spotify build.

Any options on how to solve for this? Thank you!

Edited by Nope Nope Nope

• Solution

@Nope Nope Nope if the "issue" is originated in the app, the best way is to report to the app devs (Spotify). Despite being multi-billion corp, they may not be aware of the issue as they just don't test on the specific device + firmware + settings. Though, disabling system effects may be some side effect, though, not sure if the player can actually change system wide equalizer settings. 

I can confirm this is happening on recent Samsungs + last Spotify, but it's probably the intended way it should work, though I personally doesn't like how Samsung system equalizer changes the sound (it compresses it, reduces volume). This sits on global output "stage", so if we even disable it from within Equalizer app, that will affect all audio and it's the same as disabling it (setting to Normal) in the system options.

There is one "hack" though - it's enabling "Separate app sound" for Spotify (setting it to e.g. BT output). This disables Samsung effects for the Spotify, while Poweramp Equalizer continues to work.

8 hours ago, maxmp said:

There is one "hack" though - it's enabling "Separate app sound" for Spotify (setting it to e.g. BT output). This disables Samsung effects for the Spotify, while Poweramp Equalizer continues to work.

This hack fixed the issue for me. I agree the Samsung EQ is horrible. Thank you so very much for the help @maxmp very much appreciated!