Headroom limit with DVC mode on + EQ.

Posted (edited)

I have a very agresive EQ in one of my headsets, setting 1330hz with a boost of +12db. Listening to The Beatles - Fool On the Hill track I have noticed the flute solo having a heavy clipping in the very last note of the solo (probably because that note is close to that frequency). The clipping  sounds like digital clipping limit/artifact. Then I started to reduce the overall signal with preamp, until I've noticed that the distortion disappeared around -3db.

12db - 3db = 9db

Does that mean that the limit DVC + EQ is +9db until you get distortion/clipping? Is that the "room" you have to boost any of your freqs? If not, Where's the limit until you get clipping?

I have tested that EQ with other headsets and the clipping is there, until I reduce preamp -3db and it disappears (or gets unnoticed). So it's not the headset, it's really some limit, either with cable headphones or bluetooth. Kind of internal thing.

Thanks for your help and time.

Edited by jemenfous

Posted (edited)

There's more here than I'm willing to address, but... in general whatever boosts you apply, pre-amp gain should be equal and opposite to it.

You have boosted the signal at some center frequency, 1330 Hz or otherwise, by +12 dB.

You reduced the pre-amp gain level to -3 dB.

So where are you getting this 9 dB figure from?

Edited by Fitzian